Pages

Monday, August 13, 2012

Saturday Morning Games

Saturday Morning Games

Sheephead or bridge Saturday mornings
with mom, two aunts, sister, and me
and donuts from the bakery
before we played: a family tradition
in the years life was simple.

I savored chocolate-filled donuts,
didn't worry how healthy they were,
how many calories each had,
and we played until lunch time
and didn't care who won or who lost.

The years passed and people died,
games stopped and bakery closed,
and I don't know how to play any more,
haven't had a chocolate donut in years
and life hasn't been simple in decades.

Submitted for  Poetry Jam where Mary M's prompt for the week beginning 8/14 is "Games" and for  dVerse Open Link #57 on 8/14.  Take a look at both sites; and consider joining in.

40 comments:

  1. Nostalgic revisits down memory lane. We often do the same to reflect how things have changed. We feel thankful for all the love and time provided by siblings and other relatives during those times. Nice write, Mary!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  2. my uncle used to play lots of sheephead.. brings back some memories.. life seems to get more complicated when we get older...can feel the emotions and sadness here mary...you should go and get a chocolate donut.. just for the feeling, the memories and the taste...smiles

    ReplyDelete
  3. we play games most nights...mostly card and dice games...a great way to be with each other...and for me that is what i will miss when that time comes...a reflective poem mary...i rather the raspberry filled donuts...smiles....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Use to play cards at night throughout the week, but yeah death comes and don't do it anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Go mad...Treat yourself to a chocolate donut...just because, you can ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is SO evocative. It took me right back to my Grandma's tea parties where the ladies would play bridge and Canasta. In those days, life was simpler, for sure. I miss that innocence. And I'm with Bren: you MUST go have a chocolate filled doughnut, if you can find one. I didnt know they existed but now I'm on a Quest. Hee hee.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This feels me sadness. That closing stanza just kills.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweet memories - makes me wonder what memories we're creating for our children and grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A nostalgic write Mary ~ How I wish for those simple days too ~

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww...this is sad. Reminds me of the times as a kid I spent with my grandparents...we never get them back again..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sad and sweet. I almost want to tell you to get a chocolate donut ...it will bring a taste of the past..if only for a moment.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those times we can never get back... but all we can wish for is that those memories stay as brilliant and clear as the day we lived them for real.

    ReplyDelete
  13. If only we could eat the donuts and make the times come back! Although, I suspect when you think back further, you'll find some complications there too! I know I do. k.

    ReplyDelete
  14. ps = your poem describes all this in a lovely way though. k.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, this is life.... I did some pondering of my own like this after spending the weekend with my parents holding a garage sale... we can't go back, really, but it's nice to ponder it for a bit.

    Love the closing here.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Brought me right back. Our family game was Rummy with my Dad and Scrabble with my Mom. Spent many an hour in both, in simpler days. Oh, the nostalgia.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bossy part of me says "Go buy a chocolate donut right now." but I so understand things have different meaninga now. The part about "people died" feels especially strong.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This line says so much: "and I don't know how to play any more"

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have so much to catch up on! But your blog is a rewarding place to start. I have not seen choc-filled donuts in years. This makes me hungry! Guess we have to get back to making time for these simple kinds of activities with friends and family.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You painted this so clearly. It brought back memories of playing cards with my grandmother. I'd forgotten all about that -- and the simpler days.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, there's such longing in this. Makes my heart ache. Well written. And hugs, Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Those are awesome memories... Mary, there is nothing greater than family. My memories are my older sisters, "Clue" and "Ouija Board", which dad would have killed us for if he found it.... always thought it was evil....

    ReplyDelete
  23. The closing stanza hit me like a brick; that I can certainly relate to.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wonderful write, Mary. I remember so many times when my parents, aunts, uncles, granparents and friends playing cards and dominoes. We even did it some, but it didn't catch on with us like it did with them. Definitely smpler times.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love this very much. We played cards and did lots of things that exist and taste of memories now. I enjoyed the tender saddness this was presented with. I know the feeling on certain days.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I can see you all, gaming, eating chocolate donuts. Wonderful memory of a simpler time, yes.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Don't forget how to play! It will keep you young!

    ReplyDelete
  28. love the nostalgia, Mary! the ending sad! at least you have the memories!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sad, nostalgic and lovely. The best Christmas I had as a child was one in which we were snowed in and the family played board games all day in our pj's. No company, no big meal, just fun and family. Your poem is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wonderfully nostalgic! This so reminds me of canasta with my mom and a few failed attempts to play euchre with my aunt and uncle. There's something about gathering to play games that really helps bring loved ones closer.

    I do have to agree, the passing of years can certainly complicate our lives, but I guess that's the nature of the game. I'd also echo the sentiment of several of the other commenters...go get yourself a chocolate donut! Sometimes it's good to treat ourselves and let those memories carry us back to a simpler place, even if it's only for a bite or two.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Mary, your words are gold! This was such a wonderful scene, I could taste the donuts and feel the love. Those are great memories and your poem is a beautiful homage to them.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Beautiful memories, Mary. I love to think about my little ones holding onto the laughter with our family games and the cupcakes and the colors in our home. All of it lived out without the worry. This is a lovely piece.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Such loss..being able to play makes the world a softer place..perhaps we don't play in the same way but maybe chocolate donuts can be enjoyed again? bold..and touching prose..jae

    ReplyDelete
  34. Alas, we all must continue to play the hands we are dealt!

    And aging does seem to be disillusioning to far too many of us!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Very nice .. I like the way each stanza could stand alone. I had my donuts on Sunday mornings!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh, Mary.... this is so moving. The last three lines are ... well, poetic perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Nostalgic and wistful. Nicely captured Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  38. nostalgia is feeling and this is touching, wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  39. Oh! how we miss those times so memorable. Wonderful write.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Halcyon days indeed. Thank God for them! What are your Saturday mornings like now? It would be neat if you spent Saturday morning writing this poem. At the same table? Hmm. Here's a hug . . .

    ReplyDelete


Thank you for reading and responding! Your words are gold.