Pages

Saturday, November 24, 2012

Prepared


My Mother
Prepared

The Thanksgiving turkey was in the refrigerator.
Potatoes, cranberries, green beans, stuffing
and pumpkin pie fixings  all ready to be prepared.

At home that night she made many phone calls:
A niece, a nephew's wife, both daughters, a friend.
Everyone said she was optimistic, cheerful, funny.

She died the following morning. Her heart failed,
and she was discovered two hours later.

People talked about all the calls she made,
many more than usual, as if she had a premonition
and a need to connect for one last time.

I believe this to be true; she was my mother.

We celebrated Thanksgiving two days later.
Without her we prepared her meal;
she would have wanted it that way.

We left an empty chair at the table,
just in case she still had not totally left. 
I think she was there. No, I know she was.

This poem is submitted to dVerse Poetics:Preparation is Key... where I  'tend bar' Saturday beginning at 3 p.m. Eastern; and as we prepare for the holiday season ahead and also for the new year on the horizon we're writing about preparation...of all kinds.   I am also submitting it for Poets United Poetry Pantry.

My mother died twenty-five years ago today on November 24, 1987.  The Thanksgiving dinner foods were all ready to be prepared for Thanksgiving two days later; but one is never prepared for the loss of a mother.

74 comments:

  1. Wow! Gorgeous photo and such tender words of remembrance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think many do know when it is their time to go. Great piece as the memories flow too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh man...what a last contact....would be nice to know when my time was so that i could reach out one last time to those that were special to me....hugs...nice take mary...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know that father in law did the same thing, called and talked to everyone before he died. This is sad Mary but I believe she is with you always ~

    Happy Saturday ~

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have her same radiant smile! What a moving poem this is, Mary. She would have smiled to see you gathered at her table eating all she had prepared and I'll bet she did sit in that empty chair.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh, Mary... this touches my heart. I know it must have been so difficult losing your mother around the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely to put this into a poem Mary. I am sure your mom would love being remembered in this way and with such a good photo as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You wrote it so beautifully ... surely your mother is there with you, proud of you !!! Lovely poem !!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can see from the photo that your mother was a refined lady - and her preparations for her family before her death, shows that she made all ready for her passing. It must be bitter-sweet for you to remember her each Thanksgiving, but she left you with a wonderful memory of her enduring care.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a great poem from such an "untimely" loss. Especially enjoyed the part of setting a place for her at the table.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The empty chair reference got me in the gut Mary.... Is there anything more significant? And I love that you prepared the meal anyway. Love to you, thanks for the prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. so much love written in your poem. so sorry for your loss. I'm sure she was there with you, in that chair, watching over her family.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This broke my heart, Mary. I suppose we are never prepared for the death of our mothers. This was a beautiful poem. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So obvious your mother was a lady.
    I'm sure she was there at the table with you all too.
    I had an aunt do that too. Went visiting all the family and giving them photographs, and, in hindsight we always wondered if she 'knew' she wasn't long for this world.
    Lovely poem Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a moving poem and a beautiful picture. My grandfather died on Thanksgiving also. (This, before I was born.) The holidays hard on people. Your mother looks both from the picture and your own portrait like someone who was both prepared and in the moment. Wonderful. So sorry about your dog. k.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mary...I am in tears...and the goosebumps racing up my back tells me she's been there for every year since. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I started reading your poem with a smile and a warmth at the preparation, the phone calls. Then my heart turned sore and heavy at the loss but then I felt a sad hopefulness. A touching in the meal with the empty chair that perhaps was not so empty. This is sad yet touchingly beautiful, hopeful. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I started reading your poem with a smile and a warmth at the preparation, the phone calls. Then my heart turned sore and heavy at the loss but then I felt a sad hopefulness. A touching in the meal with the empty chair that perhaps was not so empty. This is sad yet touchingly beautiful, hopeful. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderfully sentimental, and bang on for the prompt, Mary. I lost my mother in November 1966, when she was 39 years old. Odd the synchronicities amongst the poetic community. Like Nat, I am still weeping from your lovely words.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, what a moving piece. My father died on Thanksgiving as well.

    This was my favorite part:

    "Everyone said she was optimistic, cheerful, funny.
    She died the following morning."

    ReplyDelete
  21. I remember two of these occasions where friends have telephoned me in inspiration and died soon afterwards. In my experience people can rally just before death to say goodbye in a lighthearted manner. It says something about what you meant to them.

    ReplyDelete
  22. A beautiful, caring, simple beauty to this, Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think I would like to know when I would be departing this life. I too would like to reach out to those most important to me and send love one last time. Thanks for sharing such a tender moment in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Mary, this was beautiful and it made me cry. I love the idea of leaving an empty chair at the table for your mother.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Mother, poem, and sentiment; all lovely and a wonderful tribute to your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh, such a moving memory, so well expressed... Thank you for sharing. I love that you kept an empty seat for her, just in case... So much wisdom and care in your last stanza!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I got chills! That was lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  28. That was nice! Your love for her shines through. Your respect too. But know for certain she was not knowing she would die. If so, she would have called you.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh Mary! I am so sad and sorry~ How special she was always thinking of others! You look like her :D

    Mary, this was so touching I got goosebumps reading it! I know she was there :D (((hugs))) @>---------

    ReplyDelete
  30. A poignant poem, Mary. I love her photo, a beautiful woman, happy. Perfect title for this poem. Perfect last line.

    ReplyDelete
  31. oh mary..what a moving write...and yes..i think that she surely was still there...hard to celebrate that first thanksgiving without her...but glad that she somehow seemed to have felt it and in her way said good bye to the people

    ReplyDelete
  32. A moving poem indeed ~ and a beautiful pic of your mum

    ReplyDelete
  33. You did her tremendously perfect honor by eating the meal she prepared. I am sure she was there, you did leave a place for her, after all.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Of course she was there, she'll always be there, the memory is clearly so beautiful and the story compellingly told. A memorable write.

    ReplyDelete
  35. ah, the empty chair -- a great honor.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Your mother's love and care shines through the years, I am sure, as you give thanks for all she gave to you. This holiday must be bittersweet for you as you remember.

    ReplyDelete
  37. What a poignant piece. The way you "prepare" the reader, also chimes with the post's theme. I loved it, although it left me feeling sad. I especially liked the ending. You carried on with your Thanksgiving dinner because it is what your mother would have wanted. Marvellous feelings. I was truly touched. Many thanks.

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete
  38. oh Mary what a beautiful tribute, to honor your mother's memory in this way...I'm guessing she was at the table this year too...deep in your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Wow. I don't think I'll cheapen this extraordinary story with a comment. Just wanted you to know I had been here and read it. Every Thanksgiving must be bittersweet for you now.

    ReplyDelete
  40. a very moving poem.
    our loved ones may be gone, but they still live in our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  41. love the change in the last line. A moving end to a moving poem. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Clearly there in your memories and in the poem and you have the crumb of comfort that she was able to speak to so many

    ReplyDelete
  43. Hi Mary... wherever She is... in star/moon/heaven she'll be really happy reading your poem in her memory... it was wet, sad and touchy. Keep penning :)

    Regards,
    Anunoy Samanta
    -------------------------------
    http://just4suzan.blogspot.com

    http://imakemytrip.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  44. She was I am sure..beautifully written piece..Jae x

    ReplyDelete
  45. You have brought to your poem your continuing sense of loss over her death. This is so very moving. I also love old photos.

    ReplyDelete
  46. bittersweet memories beautifully expressed.

    ReplyDelete
  47. The loved ones never really leave us/I still talk to my grandmother in times of distress, though she passed way 17 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  48. The veil is thin when we remember.

    ReplyDelete
  49. What a tender tribute to your mother. It seems that holidays are always bittersweet after the 'first death,' one experiences. Thank you for sharing this beautiful poem.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Mary.. I am sure she was there.. how beautifully you have put it into words..

    ReplyDelete
  51. This is like a kick in the gut, but in a good way. Thanksgiving was always a special meal that my mother prepared and we continue to honor her memory each year by cooking "her" meal to this day. I find it beautiful that you celebrated her meal in her memory. Beautiful... yet sad and poignant as well. That must have been a tough Thanksgiving for you...

    ReplyDelete
  52. Whoa...this brought a tear to my eyes. I do believe that people have a sense of when they are ready to move on, and that she was, indeed, a part of your celebration. What a way to thank her!

    ReplyDelete
  53. Mary, this swept me up from start to finish, wishing that your mum is still sharing in your life and celebrations.

    ReplyDelete
  54. This brought tears to my eyes Mary--when my grandmother died, I smelled her perfume for months after, and always when we needed her--

    ReplyDelete
  55. I am sure she smiled as she sat with you, at the table and in your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  56. The entire piece is powerful and heartfelt, but the last line is epic.

    ReplyDelete
  57. Mary, you got me all teary--perfect ending, no one is every prepared for that. Love how you left her a seat, I'm sure she was there. I wrote about family too--my sister, (her name is Mary :-)

    ReplyDelete
  58. I'm thankful for your sweet memories...

    ReplyDelete
  59. thank you for sharing your memories, Mary!

    ♥

    ReplyDelete
  60. This is so touching Mary. And great play on being prepared for something vs. not being prepared for something. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  61. Mary, she looks gorgeous and I am sure, she came and shared that last meal with her family that day. God bless you for wonderful gesture. May her soul rest in peace.....what an engaging narration!
    Beautiful....it feels so good to come back and read poems in this forum.
    Lovely...touching piece.

    ReplyDelete
  62. Oh, Mary, this touched me deeply, thinking of my own mom. WHat a lovely photo, too. And I think you did exactly as she would have wanted, including having her place at the table. I know she was there. And she's always watching over you... love, Amy
    PS thanks for commenting at my blog; I'm trying to catch up on my visits!

    ReplyDelete
  63. touching, very touching Mary. I absolutely believe this to be true. I think this somehow explains how when people are in the hospital and very sick for a long time, they'll seemingly stun the doctors with a one to two day or so miraculous recovery, only to pass shortly thereafter. I think we know, I know animals do. They run and hide, much different the people, who reach out to touch as many as they can. Yet, I do have to say that my little cat who was so so sick would evade us for the past two months or so, all of a sudden, still sick, but a bit better, spent like 36 hours at our sides at all times, as loving as ever, as he never was the most loving of cats, he had a rough early life before I found him, but it's as if he knew, and he wanted to spend as much time as possible, and then, he disappeared. We knew, but we looked anyway, and of course found him.

    Perhaps his death is still fresh for me, and while this story is obviously more magnificent for it was your mother and the calls really is eerily affirming to your point, but it touched me a lot. Good cathartic cry thanks, I guess I needed that.

    ReplyDelete
  64. How wonderful that she reached out to her loved ones that one last time and then died. I couldn't script a better death, and then to be remembered so lovingly, isn't that what we hope for? Lovely tribute, Mary- thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  65. Touching....So sweet of her contacting all her dear ones the last time...

    ReplyDelete
  66. What a beautiful serene looking woman.It is hard to lose someone wonderful...you suffer so much more.

    Rallentanda

    ReplyDelete
  67. How extraordinary. It seems your mother was making her last calls without perhaps knowing why. I know what you mean about not having totally left.
    I love the photo of your mother - what a lovely smile.

    ReplyDelete
  68. It's so touching Mary! So noble of you to remember the most important person in our life! The occasion around it makes it more beautiful!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  69. ... the last stanza sent chills (in a good way) through me. So glad you had a last talk with her, but still ...


    A very moving poem.

    ReplyDelete
  70. Wow, this has left me in tears, Mary.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete


Thank you for reading and responding! Your words are gold.