Raise a glass, make a toast, know I'm not far away. As you look for me out of the corner of your eye or find me in your dreams, picture me with a smile and happy, know that we will meet again.
Thursday, December 19, 2013
The Perfect Gift
The Perfect Gift
I was Christmas shopping today,
trying to find the perfect gifts
(yet knowing there are no perfect gifts),
feeling under pressure
as I wandered through aisles
looking for what might not be needed
but what would be appreciated
and not returned (despite gift receipts).
Now gifts are wrapped and displayed;
I hope for the best.
This is written for G-Man's 55! Go tell it to the G-Man!
Merry Christmas to all of you!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I wish I were as well organized, Mary! Not all my Christmas presents have been purchased or ordered yet so the pressure is still there. You nicely express how finding the right gift, the one which will be appreciated, even remembered is sometimes a tricky business. I hope I have and will have chosen wisely.
ReplyDeleteNice. Christmas shopping sounds quite delightful and getting a gift that would be appreciated requires a lot of patience, I guess. Well-expressed.
ReplyDelete-HA
aaahhh the Christmas struggle... I know it well... should I get this... no this... or that
ReplyDeleteOh I know exactly what you mean!! I did order a lot online this year and that helped. But still I know what you are describing.
ReplyDeleteI bought little essentials this year, it being a tad lean this year. It's the thought, right? ~
ReplyDeleteSure they will do just fine
ReplyDeleteLove this! Love your little one in front of the tree. Love it.
ReplyDeleteWe have a new tradition - it is about 4 years old. We are a family of 8 - we all shop for $10 gifts for each other and had them wrapped by December 6th - or by the weekend that follows. We do give them a small check each for shopping themselves - but it really takes the burden off and we literally sing songs and take walks on Christmas Eve. NO running around for shopping allowed. We DO usually got to the movies as a family on the 25th - something my mom always hated (and I always feel a little guilty about :)
ReplyDeleteChristmas shopping is horrible. I am so glad we decided not to do gifts this year (but we don't have little kids around).
ReplyDeletesmiles...if you listen you hear things...i do that throughout the year and stock away what i hear people say so i dont have a lot of actual gifts to buy at christmas....we do similar to margaret....on the small gifts for each other...
ReplyDeleteI pick up things throughout the year and then leave messages to myself to remember where they are. When something catches my eye and I think I know who would love it. For me, giving the gift is the best part. Hopefully they like it, but they can't steal away the pleasure it was finding the thing I thought was just right (even if I'm way off the mark). :)
ReplyDeleteMary...
ReplyDeleteI'm a bit of a late shopper, you are doing great!
You are such a loving. caring person. I'm so
very grateful that you have found your way to the
Friday Fun.
Loved your Yuletide 55
Thanks for playing, please have a Kick Ass Week-End
More than the gift, the emotions associated with it are important which are always perfect:)
ReplyDeleteI know the feeling well.
ReplyDeleteoh i hear you... for some people i know exactly what they would be happy about, for others it's more difficult and it can really stress you out... but i know you're sensitive and i bet you just got the right present for everyone..smiles
ReplyDeleteI'm sure everyone will love your gifts :) I wish you a very Merry Christmas!
ReplyDeleteChristmas shopping reminds me of our 'puja-shopping' here in Bengal, India......the same frenzy, same worry, same joy....how we, so love and long for
ReplyDeletehappiness...love this spirit of festivity....very nice lines :)
There is nothing I love better than buying gifts for people.....each year I swear I will be stringent and keep it inexpensive. Each year that goes totally out the window. Sigh. But it gives me joy. Love your tree and young Basil underneath it!!!!
ReplyDeleteI know just what you mean. I always stress about finding just the right gift!
ReplyDeleteSounds like your heart is in the right place!! And I like the line about "what might not be needed, but appreciated." Not much I need, really. Couple bags of groceries would be great!! :)
ReplyDeleteYour tree is LOVELY!!!! Are Tulip, Basil & Violet curious about their pressies?? :)
Happy holidays, my dear!
xooxo
Gorgeous photo! Yes-the elusive perfect gift-augh! WE do our best and that is as perfect as it gets~
ReplyDeleteYes, I agree those three can't wait for fun!!!
Your tree look beautiful and your poem is so true!
ReplyDeleteGorgeous :)
ReplyDeleteTrying to find the right gift is difficult but it's the thought that counts...an oldie but goodie! My family and I have opted for a gift free christmas...except for my youngest son of course. It takes a bit of pressure off and we can just enjoy the day! Wishing you the best for you and yours this Christmas! :)
ReplyDelete