Raise a glass, make a toast, know I'm not far away. As you look for me out of the corner of your eye or find me in your dreams, picture me with a smile and happy, know that we will meet again.
Saturday, March 21, 2015
If You Enter Your Own Poem
If You Enter Your Own Poem
If you enter your own poem
you will find yourself
somewhere there
you may write about birds
but birds sing only
your chosen song
you may write about rivers
but rivers flow
only through you
you may write about the sun
but the sun shines
with your light
you may write about spring
but it is you who
comes alive
you may write about a garden
but it is you who
plants all seeds
you may write about dusk
but darkness comes from
your soul
If you enter your own poem
you will find yourself
somewhere there.
This was written for Poets United Poetry Pantry.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I believe that the best poetry is written by poets who put some or a lot of themselves in their poems. I like all the examples you use to convey this idea. My favorite is "you may write about spring / but it is you who / comes alive."
ReplyDeleteI like this very much Mary. This poem has so much wisdom. I read it several times just to soak it in.
ReplyDeleteI think that though much of my poetry is imagination you are right.. there is a lot of myself there.. i wonder if poetry also sticks to your soul... maybe I should write only happy poems.
ReplyDeleteI have wondered the same ...
DeleteIf you write only happy poems, you force your soul to exist in a rose colored unreal world. I guarantee that eventually your soul will rebel or become a dry brittle thing with nothing but empty rattles of which to speak,
DeleteElizabeth
So it does, from our light, from deep within us, to our words & the magic of poetry ~
ReplyDeleteLove your musings for the weekend Mary ~
THIS is my very favorite of yours, Mary. It is wonderful! I especially love the lines about writing about a garden but it is we who plant all the seeds. This is a very amazing poem.
ReplyDeleteSo if I write about the cat having gas I have it too? Damn lol
ReplyDeletethis is an absolute truth captivated in your lines Mary...our words are indeed the song of our soul...and what beautiful examples!!...love them all..
ReplyDeleteyes, Mary, we are our words. well said
ReplyDeletegracias
That is certainly true, Mary. In every words we pen we introduce ourselves, either abstract or in a direct way, & at the same time we learn & discover something new as we ink these bits of us. I like this poem very much, Mary! Thank you. Smiles.
ReplyDelete- ksm
How true this is. We sometimes mask ourselves but there is always part of us in our writing.
ReplyDeletePerfection - I think you have described what all of us seek through writing consciously or not...happy Sunday to you Mary
ReplyDeletePS Congrats on the publication :)
DeleteA part of us is always there in our poems, whether we admit it or not :-) Such an observation Mary and thanks for being our voice.
ReplyDeleteA poem and a discussion initiator - ! Lovely start to Sunday - lovely reflective poem ..interesting that you chose to write that you will "find" yourself there - as though indeed the self is unconsciously revealed ...
ReplyDeleteOh, I love this! Both the message, and the perfect expression of it. Beautifully written!
ReplyDeleteThat was stunningly beautiful. Thanks. I really enjoyed it.
ReplyDeleteGreetings from London.
I love this profound truth! We write our spiritual autobiography all the time, and some of us are more apt to hear the voices of others as well. I'm keeping this poem to remind me.
ReplyDeleteyou may write about the sun
ReplyDeletebut the sun shines
with your light...
This is such a lovely poem, Mary.
something to think about, Mary.
ReplyDeletewe are what we write? :)
Your words are so true, Mary!!! I love it. We really are what we write. That's what's so fascinating about poetry to me. We become our words. Very nice. I just can't say enough nice things about your poem today :) Happy Sunday, Mary :)
ReplyDeleteVery true indeed we put quite a bit of ourselves in what we write.
ReplyDeleteOh wow Mary, such incredible words here that left me to pause and reflect....I do see myself in my images put down with words.
ReplyDeleteSo thought-provoking, Mary. In just the past couple of days, since "resigning," I'm starting to experience poetic thoughts again. I'm listening right now to a mockingbird. I wonder where we will go together...if time is kind to me.
ReplyDeleteThis is so beautiful! Wonderful imagery.. :D
ReplyDeletewww.adashofsunny.com
A beautiful observation of poets, those scribes who describe their world the way they feel it, see it, hear it, taste it, touch it - subjective in opinion, objective in understanding. I think we can all relate to your wise words, today, Mary, for they are as familiar to us as they are to you.
ReplyDelete'you may write about spring
but it is you who
comes alive'
I now identify more with spring; the rebirth of beauty in nature, seems to be better for my autumnal stage of life than the withering away of leaves.
Poppy
Mary I love this. I think it's become my favorite of yours. It's a wonderful meditation on a life as poem. And we all benefit from living life artfully.
ReplyDeleteWonderful direction one should begin to enter :-)
ReplyDeleteZQ
Thanks for stopping by Mary :D
ReplyDeletexoxo
Mary, I couldn't agree with you more. It has been said that when one writes, one lives more than one life, perhaps many. Long live the poets!
ReplyDeleteElizabeth
Such an interesting viewpoint, Mary! Yes, we're there, aren't we? Sometimes whether we wish to be or not. {smile}
ReplyDeleteHappy Spring!
♥
So true! We are a part of our creations.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Gabriella! Completely. And isn't this what poetry is...pouring ourselves and our hearts out onto the page? Lovely description of that here.
ReplyDeleteAh, I love the wisdom of this poem! Indeed, we can find ourselves in our poems....Now I wonder if I can write about someone's world truth...
ReplyDeletewhenever i read my old poems , i feel like i'm visiting some old version of me.... what a lovely write this !!
ReplyDeleteMary,
ReplyDeleteA motivating and uplifting poem, which shares its encouragement with a wider audience. I am looking forward to absorbing the fruits of springtime..
Eileen
So true, we are our words.
ReplyDeleteAwesome writing. Inspirational and inspiring!
ReplyDelete