![]() |
| My Mother and Me |
My Mother’s Flowers
Every Memorial Day weekend we journeyed to the greenhouse
to pick out flats of petunias, geraniums, and marigolds
to plant around our home and also for the gravestones
of the two cemeteries where my parents’ deceased were buried.
Stooping over the soil with her shovel, hand digging holes,
Mother artfully arranged geraniums, marigolds, and petunias
and an occasional coleus in her front yard flower beds.
As a child, I often found my mother standing with her garden hose,
watering her flowers before the rise of the strong morning sun.
I knew not to disturb her then, as this was her time.
Time passed. My mother could no longer care for flowerbeds.
Her eyesight dimmed year after year, blindness was inevitable.
Instead she planted flowers in large pots on the front porch.
It was important for her to grow flowers.
Then one day when my mother was almost blind
she awoke to find her flower pots stolen.
Gone were the plants that had been her pride,
the only reminder of her gardens of yesteryear.
The thieves stole more than flowers from my mother,
they stole her desire to grow them. She never had flowers again.
They had been all that was left for her to nurture.
Nothing more to care for is a very sad thing.
I am sharing this with Poets United's celebration of Mother's Day today. It is not a new poem. I wrote it before I blogged. However, this is the poem I wanted to share today because it is a poem that means so much to me and still brings tears to my eyes when I read it.
's

Mary, that is so sad. To have one of her last delights stolen from her in such a thoughtless way - 'Nothing more to care for is a very sad thing' - indeed, indeed.
ReplyDeleteHeart-felt and heart-rending. The more so because so simply and effectively written, the style is perfect for the content. Your mother somehow emerges from it, and it is a joy to met her.
ReplyDeletesuch a sad and moving poem. The final stanza is crushing: beautiful in handling and yet awful in subject matter. Brilliantly written.
ReplyDeleteThis is so touching Mary, to have something which meant so much to your mom stolen is so sad. I can feel the love you have for her in your words, so beautifully done.
ReplyDeleteSuch sad words but beautifully composed.
ReplyDeleteI can see why it means so much to you. It's a very beautiful piece. It moved me a lot. Many thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteGreetings from London.
Oh Mary, what a heartbreaking tale. You pay a lovely tribute to her here.
ReplyDelete:( sad, but god is always there to protect our loved ones...
ReplyDeleteThis made me cry, for your mother and for you. Peace.
ReplyDeleteThis is very moving Mary ~ So sad that the thieves stole her nurturing and caring heart ~ Thanks for sharing your personal picture and mother's story ~
ReplyDeleteHappy Sunday ~
that's so sad
ReplyDeleteThis is a really poignant memory that you wrote here, I am sorry she lost her loving heart.
ReplyDeleteThieves are scum buckets in every way, sad indeed they stole more than the plants that day.
ReplyDeleteoy, heart felt mary....that someone stole the flowers and she had nothing else to care for is heart breaking...sad...smiling though at planting the flowers at the graves as that is very familiar to me...
ReplyDeleteOh my, yes! Heartbreaking, even if it "wasn't personal". Thank God for the memories, yours and hers.
ReplyDeleteMary,
ReplyDeleteHaving such a story to share brings love in abundence, though also tinged with sadness. Sad for the uncaring human element, which sought to destroy your motherly connection. Yet, you have kindly shared this experience today. Thoughts with you Mary, and thank you for sharing this very personal tribute.
Eileen
Mary, what a beautiful poignant sad poem. Horrible that the thieves took away her will to garden along with the flowers they stole. I am at that stage now, where I can no longer garden but take delight in what grows on my porch railing. I so love and relate to this poem. Beautifully done, Mary. And I LOVE the photo.
ReplyDeleteA thief can steal so much than things as your story portrays in a heartbreaking way. I love that your shoes are similar in the photo of you and your mother and that flowers brought her such joy for so long.
ReplyDeleteOh this is so sad...that final stanza really tugs my heart. Love the photo Mary.
ReplyDeleteThis surely brings tears to the ones who care deeply about their mothers. My mom loves flowers and planting them too. Our little flat looks from the outside like a rain forest :D
ReplyDeleteI loved the image of the mother from an innocent child's point of view - watching the mother from afar with her garden hose, tending the floors, and knowing it was important to give her this quiet time - I really loved the lines - I think they are the core and the heart of the poem's meaning -you get the sense the child is out of the picture and then the blindness and then the thief- a sort of spiraling down of past investments.
ReplyDeleteThe ending of this is heartbreaking -- but I so loved the life of the poem before the end. What memories! The photo is great.
ReplyDeletea sad and touching piece. the ending quite cruel—a shame really. I can see why it holds a dear place in your heart.
ReplyDeleteWow, a very touching poem. I wasn't quite expecting the turn near the end. Started out as a lovely ceptured memory of your mother to a much deeper meaning about what mothers truly are. Very nice.
ReplyDeleteA life without flowers and beauty is a life not lived. Your mother had it right!
ReplyDeleteVery profound yet subtle. The way you gave her space and appreciated it...Well, it is sad having none or nothing to care for. Life all of a sudden is close to being empty.
ReplyDeleteIt brought tears to my Eyes toooooooooo........ Yap My mother always use to say to me. Please take care of my Plants. i will be back soon......Thanks for bring me memories
ReplyDeleteTouching! Many people don't understand the importance of one's love or desire.I understand through your poem that Flowers to your mom was like her own child
ReplyDeleteYour sadness in this poem and the letting go both you and your mother had to do, is palpable in your poem. Beautiful tribute to your mother's spirit!Humming
ReplyDeleteLoved this, very special and made my heart break. Beautiful.
ReplyDeleteIt brought tears to my eyes, too. Heartbreaking write.
ReplyDeleteyes, this is certainly heart-rending.
ReplyDeleteThis is an incredibly sad poem Mary. My mom also loved to garden and I have many images of her doing that in my mind. I sort of rediscovered geraniums last fall and they really have been lovely.
ReplyDeleteWonderful memories but oh, such a sad ending. Beautifully told, as always.
ReplyDeleteI was too late to link, but mine is here: http://passionatecrone.blogspot.com.au/2012/09/remembrance.html
Very moving, brought tears to my eyes, you write with such love... such a terrible thing to happen, people can be so thoughtless. Lovely photo too!
ReplyDeleteI could relate to her joy in planting flowers. I hope this poem was fiction for it is all too sad.
ReplyDelete