Pages

Monday, March 23, 2015

The Beat of Wings




The Beat of Wings

Oh that the sky can accommodate
the beauty of beating wings
flocks of  melodious mallards
with distinctive sea-green heads
meander overhead

and I tread tree-lined trails
amble arborous  avenues
squander time to follow

my blue eyes turn heavenward
these intractable birds, their images
I savor and save in a pewter cup
unashamedly mesmerized
by the beat of mallard wings.



This poem is written for Tuesday's dVerse Poetics -- where we will be writing poems about something 'beautiful' in any sort of way! There are so many different kinds of beauty, aren't there?

37 comments:

  1. There is indeed something beautiful about the way birds fly in the sky, maybe it is the lightness they convey that contrasts with our own limitations. I also like the form of your poem with the shorter stanza in between the longer ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Flying to their next destination. Always a fun sight to see, even more so for the cats lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. The eye is beholding the charms of your words~ Lovely, to witness those wings!
    I, too love this form~

    ReplyDelete
  4. amble arborous avenues... ha... love how that sounds... and there def. is so much beauty in the beat and movement of their wings...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you have focused on the sound of wings rather than the visual... Then you have used the alliteration so skilfully so I can almost hear those wings.. I love the birds at spring,,

    ReplyDelete
  6. Savor and keep them in a pewter cup Mary ~ What a beautiful sight to behold, smiles ~

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love mallards. They seem so awkward when they are taking off, as if their wings are way too small for their plump bodies, but yet there is a beauty in even that...and when they swim...oh so graceful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glorious - the beauty of beating wings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've always been an admirer of birds since I was a kid, fascinated by ducks and how they kept perfect form in the sky...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Doggone it, Grace always picks my favorite lines too; great minds I suppose fly in similar flocks, /their images/i savor & save.../ A terrific illustration for us of your prompt. I really got off on a prose romp, so went to a Haibun form.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the way you want to save that image forever - it is wonderful to behold, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful. "We" just hatched our first batch of baby mallard--11 of them. There will be less, no doubt, once the hawks and coyotes get a sight of them. Happens every year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just in the past few days, the geese have begun to return, and it's a beautiful sight, indeed. I love the melody in that middle stanza.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fine! To see and hear and follow and save!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That does not sound like squandered time to me. Taking time to appreciate God's creatures -- especially birds in flight -- is never wasted. Peace, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  16. Canada geese sometimes nest on my little lake back in the woods. Magnificent creatures. Who has not dreamed of flying with them?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous. This reminded me of "Lessons from the Geese"by Robert NcNeish.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, if we could save the beauty of their beating wings in a pewter cup, we would! But most beauty is beyond us and cannot be contained. Lovely prompt and poem, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This poem of yours is precious! A truly amazing writer you are.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh I do love the beauty of the mallards and their beating wings.Wonderful image of saving the moment in a pewter cup.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think you have captured the beauty of the mallards in flight..I haven't seen them around here.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love to watch them, beautiful Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  23. In the office park where I used to work, were several small ponds because of wetland regulations. One pond was taken over by geese, another by various ducks. This poem brought to mind the many times I have seen them take off or land and those magnificent wings. I love how this poem brings to mind the movement and sound of the wings. The last three lines are incredible. Such moments and sights I save in a special laquer jewel box given to me long ago. This is just a wonderful prompt. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  24. 'Oh that the sky can accommodate
    the beauty of beating wings'
    These may be 2 of my favorite lines ever! I love hearing those wings and voices as they fly into the cove - beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  25. something about the mallards, so resplendent :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yes.. beating wings.. that only know heart of air.. and songs of Sun.. hidden and exposed by clouds alike.. bring song to me.. in ways of air.. where wings of feet.. only know sands alive..:)

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is lovely--I'm especially enamored by "pewter cup"!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful blog, as well as the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love the focus on the sound too.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Trying the wordpress option Mary, like I said, love the part about saving images in a pewter cup. Lovely! - thotpurge.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. The flapping of wings itself can be beautiful sounds let alone seeing them. Great lines Mary!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  32. The liftoff of a large flock of birds is, indeed, an awe-inspiring moment--and once in flight, a glorious sight overhead.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Mary, this is lovely. It's such a cool time of the year. I saw my Sandhill Cranes on Monday in the back property.

    ReplyDelete
  34. That beat of wings is freedom and beauty. When I lived in England - I always admired these gloriously colorful Mallards - smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Fun alliteration and vocabulary choices.
    I must say, I did not follow the pewter cup line -- although others enjoyed it.
    I don't know of customs of saving things in pewter cups -- wish I had.
    Fun take, Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  36. "Oh that the sky can accommodate / the beauty of beating wings"---I just so love these lines, Mary. To be among those beating wings is def what I wish in my second life.. sigh.. Thank you for the poems that speak beyond beauty, Mary. Smiles.

    - ksm

    ReplyDelete
  37. Birds were an excellent choice for this prompt, Mary. They lift one's soul - their breathtaking beauty and the primordial constant of the beat of wings. Lovely piece.

    ReplyDelete


Thank you for reading and responding! Your words are gold.