![]() |
| My Mother and Me |
My Mother’s Flowers
Every Memorial Day weekend we journeyed to the greenhouse
to pick out flats of petunias, geraniums, and marigolds
to plant around our home and also for the gravestones
of the two cemeteries where my parents’ deceased were buried.
Stooping over the soil with her shovel, hand digging holes,
Mother artfully arranged geraniums, marigolds, and petunias
and an occasional coleus in her front yard flower beds.
As a child, I often found my mother standing with her garden hose,
watering her flowers before the rise of the strong morning sun.
I knew not to disturb her then, as this was her time.
Time passed. My mother could no longer care for flowerbeds.
Her eyesight dimmed year after year, blindness was inevitable.
Instead she planted flowers in large pots on the front porch.
It was important for her to grow flowers.
Then one day when my mother was almost blind
she awoke to find her flower pots stolen.
Gone were the plants that had been her pride,
the only reminder of her gardens of yesteryear.
The thieves stole more than flowers from my mother,
they stole her desire to grow them. She never had flowers again.
They had been all that was left for her to nurture.
Nothing more to care for is a very sad thing.
Monday is Memorial Day in this country. I am sharing a poem that involves a family Memorial Day tradition---at least at the beginning of the poem. It is not a new poem, but I don't have the heart to write a new Memorial Day poem this year. I do like this one AND the picture. Smiles.
Monday is Memorial Day in this country. I am sharing a poem that involves a family Memorial Day tradition---at least at the beginning of the poem. It is not a new poem, but I don't have the heart to write a new Memorial Day poem this year. I do like this one AND the picture. Smiles.
's

Thieves sure can ruin things for anyone. Wish they'd think before they steal.
ReplyDeleteI like the photo too. And i relate to this poem. At my apartmentbuilding, we are not allowed pets AND are not allowed to feed the birds on our balconies. I miss having live things. I do have a few pots of blooms......reminding me of the huge garden i once had.
ReplyDeleteI hadn't seen this one before. A sad story, well told. I too like the photo as well.
ReplyDeleteI had not heard of Memorial Day, so I Googled it to find out what it was all about. I suppose it equates in a way to our Anzac Day.
Oh Mary, this reminds me so much of my Mother. She had the same relationship with flowers ... dotting them about her house, and planting them at the graves of loved ones who had passed. When she moved to a seniors apartment complex, the one thing that she continued to lament every summer, until she died, was the loss of her flower garden ... as though an important part of her life had been taken away from her, long before she was ready to surrender it.
ReplyDeleteAnd I love that picture. It captures, beautifully, the mode of a wonderful bygone - pleasanter - time - forever lost, now.
This is an awesome post! Much enjoyed!
Nothing more to care for is a very sad thing.. that is so true and so heartbreaking... but love for flowers is a beautiful way to remember a loved one.
ReplyDeleteSuch a sad story, Mary.
ReplyDeleteI like the photo too, Mary. This is such a touching poem.
ReplyDeleteWhat a blow that was for her but how beautifully you told of her love of flowers. This is such a moving tribute to her Mary.
ReplyDeleteThievery can ruin a life forever. What a sad, sad poem.
ReplyDeleteOh this is sad.... when we lose hope and joy because someone has stolen it from us....such a beautiful tribute of a wonderful flower woman.
ReplyDeleteSadness resonates in this well crafted poem.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing the photo. You look such a perky litte miss😊 Mary
Much♥️love
I came back to read again as i have been thinking of this poem. The image of your mother watering the garden before the heat of the day reminds me of waking up summer mornings at my grandma's, to the slap of the hose against the side of the house, a sound that has stayed with me all my life. It is terrible how low thieves can go, stealing an old woman's blooms. Sigh.
ReplyDeleteSuch a sad conclusion. I got a chill cause she reminded me of my mother, who is also gone now. I now love that quiet time of weeding and watering.
ReplyDeleteLife is filled with too much sadness. Your poor mother. I believe those thieves will pay...in this life and the next.
ReplyDeleteThis is so sad... to take away that joy... my mother used to care about flowers too, but for her it was dementia taking away the joy... Now we fill the pots with flowers instead.
ReplyDeleteHow sad....they stole more than flowers. I still hope that your mum found hope somewhere along the line. The picture is heart warming and the poem....sublime
ReplyDeleteSad but oh so real such things always leave a mark...
ReplyDeleteThieves and liars are the scum of the universe. It's never the things they actually take, never the stuff they lie about, but the lives and dreams they destroy while they go about their nasty ways. I feel for your mom, for I love my plants like most people love their furry families, I can only imagine her pain, the sense of loss...
ReplyDeleteI hope your mom is growing an eternal garden that fills her soul with never-ending joy...
I like this one a lot too Mary. What a nice way to remember your Mother.
ReplyDeleteYou story about your Mother is very sad!
ReplyDeleteI LOVE this poem! What fine memories, and sadness, when there is nothing left to care for.
ReplyDeleteI too love this poem. My folks were all gardening people - vegetables, roses, and flowers. Every memorial day we went to the cemetery to decorate the graves. I hope the thieves who stole your mother's flowers had something valuable stolen from them. It is a mean thought but people who would steal pots of flowers off an old lady's porch deserve no sympathy in my mind.
ReplyDeleteOnly feeling grief in this well written piece.
ReplyDeleteZQ
This is heartbreaking Mary, more than flowers were stolen that day :(
ReplyDelete"Nothing more to care for is a very sad thing.". it is indeed so.
ReplyDeletethis poem is so touching.
Thank you for coming to my site, for reading and for your comments...is your world upside down, too....sometimes?
ReplyDeleteThanks. That was a very touching poem.
ReplyDeleteGreetings from London.