Tribute to Mary Oliver (1935-2019)
"I don't want to end up simply having visited this world." -- Mary Oliver in When Death Comes.
I am reading Mary Oliver poems
with fresh appreciation these days
after she has died
and no she has not simply
visited this world but
has left it a richer place
poetic observations left behind
and I am sure that as she passed through
the door we'll all find some day
with curiosity about what will be
a lightness of body and spirit
no more disease or pain
she will rise above what she knew
to something richer than she dreamed
move forward in endless time
and we are all extremely blessed
by Mary Oliver's poetry which
gifts us with her view of the world.
Written for Poets United Poetry Pantry.
Thank you, Mary, for this heart-felt tribute to a wonderful poet. She has certainly blessed us with her writings and she certainly has NOT simply visited this world.
ReplyDeleteYes, her poetry is a gift which has helped so many of us se the world with fresher eyes. I love this poem, Mary.
ReplyDeleteOh yes, I echo these sentiments!
ReplyDeleteMary I do remember how much you appreciate Mary Oliver's writing, and I can almost feel how a poet is growing when dead...
ReplyDeletewhen no more poems a growing,
the one that she left
blooms brighter than ever.
Sure left a gift behind indeed.
ReplyDeleteWell said, Mary. Mary Oliver was my favorite current day poet. In particular, I am in awe of the way in which she was able to weave nature and contemplation and insight – and question – and cause her readers to question. As in, 'The Summer Day':
ReplyDelete"Tell me, what else should I have done?
Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon?
Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?"
Her death is such a loss. I will miss her thoughtful and thought provoking words so very much. Reading poetry is a gift that we give ourselves and Mary Oliver's poetry was – up on that pinnacle – with the very best of those gifts.
"was ~ and IS ~ up on that pinnacle – with the very best …"
ReplyDeleteThank you.
ReplyDeleteIn Tofino, on Tuesday night, we are holding a Mary Oliver night, to pay homage.
ReplyDeleteAn honest tribute from one Mary to another.
ReplyDeleteSuch a heartfelt homage to a wonderful poet of our times. Interestingly I have done a tribute poem too in honor of Mary Oliver today.
ReplyDeleteShe has left behind a legacy and renewed people's passion for poetry! Such a beautiful tribute poem, Mary💞
ReplyDeleteSweet and honest tribute to a bright poetic star.
ReplyDeleteI said to a friend the other day: "Poets always die too soon." They do, but they live on too, in the work they leave behind. Thanks for this precious tribute to a precious poetic soul.
ReplyDeleteSo true. She was not a visitor. She has never left. I hope she can look at us, from the place her spirit now inhabits, and see how many are holding her words close, reading them anew.
ReplyDeletea remarkable woman in many ways, a quiet, fiery beauty for the truths in this world .... not soon to be forgotten;
ReplyDeletelovely thoughts and sentiments you've expressed
Stirring! This encourages me to go back and reread for what I'll find new and what I've missed.
ReplyDeleteYes, we are. And it is too bad, often we don't realize until that person is gone?
ReplyDeleteHer voice is heard beyond her journey here on earth.
ReplyDeleteA well respected tribute to Mary Oliver.
ReplyDeleteZQ
Now that I have been made aware if her, Mary Oliver is on my reading list. Nice post Mary. I have posted about tge Ancients...
ReplyDelete"Instructions for living a life. Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it." MARY OLIVER
ReplyDeleteA lovely ode Mary
Happy you dropped by my sumie Sunday today
Much💖💖💖love
I like to imagine her writing poems from another dimension. She us left us all a rich legacy.
ReplyDeleteYes, yes! You have captured her vision and added your own. I believe something is next, and it's not what we know though this life prepares us for it!
ReplyDeleteit is your line 'fresh appreciation' which strikes such a chord - this is how we keep such poets alive
ReplyDeleteA lovely tribute, Mary. It would be nice to be remembered in such a way. :-)
ReplyDeleteA wondeful tribute
ReplyDelete