Lost Conversation
at the Coffee Traders on Downer late into the night.
We would sit for a hours, but it seemed no time at all,
in our own world of caffeine and conversation.
We would sit for a hours, but it seemed no time at all,
in our own world of caffeine and conversation.
We talked about hopes and dreams and plans,
about feminism and books we were reading.
about feminism and books we were reading.
These were the days of consciousness raising,
women's music, women making their voices heard.
women's music, women making their voices heard.
I wish I remembered more than the intensity of your
blue eyes and black hair with no one in the cafe but you.
blue eyes and black hair with no one in the cafe but you.
And now several decades later all has changed
some dreams have been fulfilled, some have gone to dust.
some dreams have been fulfilled, some have gone to dust.
The Coffee Trader has closed, and I lost track of her,
until I saw her obituary - suicide - walked in front of a train.
until I saw her obituary - suicide - walked in front of a train.

A heart breakingly beautiful poem. So sad !... Rall
ReplyDeleteThe closing line is a shocker, Mary! So, so sad. The unexpected end of a life makes the sentence "We talked about hopes and dreams and plans," all the more tragic.
ReplyDeleteYes, that closing line is so sad. So poignant, those young dreamers of the long ago, and where life took her.
ReplyDeleteThe ending made my heart pause. So sad....
ReplyDelete"Lost conversation" in more ways than one! Sad. Thank the Goddess for the memories of "caffeine and conversation," in fact, the good years of the youthful women's movement. A gripping poem!
ReplyDeleteOh, wow, what a story told in your poem. I'd certainly miss the caffeine and conversation, too, and I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. Some dreams and some friends of mine too are now dust--alive though, in memory. At least we have those. <3
ReplyDeleteIncredibly sad ending to a time of life when all was possible.
ReplyDelete