Looking for the Good Parts
I try to look for the good parts -
the shimmer of Lake Michigan waves on a sunny fall day,
as they roll into the shore with grace and tenderness
the few trees that are beginning to change colors,
the first kisses of good-bye to summer
algae that makes the small lakes chartreuse green,
the occasional ripples that disrupt their stillness
the well-marked woodchipped paths that guide
through the silent forest, with flowers now past prime.
There is so much beauty in our world when we slow down
enough to pay attention to the good parts.
For Susan's prompt: " What's Going On" Open Link
Yes, there are so many good parts, which helps us to bear the harder things. I love this, Mary.
ReplyDelete"I try to look for the good parts -" As I read the poem for the second time I stop at the word "try". Beauty is in abundance yet one has to try to look at it. Such is the condition of this planet! I also love the close and all the examples of 'Beauty'.
ReplyDeleteI am always trying to look for the good parts. I agree there is so much beauty in our world. We just need to see past the fog.
ReplyDeleteYour examples of "the good parts" ring bells with me. Remembering to slow down is getting easier with age. One of its blessings, I guess. Remembering the good parts of "What's Going On" today--definitely writing prompts and responding to our teams prompts too.
ReplyDeleteYes, and your poem brought them to us and made me feel I was experiencing them first-hand, which is just what a good nature-inspired poem does! I'll continue to read you, Mary, though WGO is closing down (which reminds me of when Poetry Jam closed and Poets United changed as well) that is of course, if you intend to continue posting your poems.
ReplyDelete