Honesty
It is hard to be honest
if a situation is difficult
it is easier to say nothing
at all because then
at least one doesn't lie
diane always says that
the shortest way through
a difficult situation is
being honest and I agree
with her completely
but what if being honest
is hurtful to someone
i am torn about this as
probably some things
serve no purpose to say
what is honesty anyway
honesty only within oneself
expounding all one thinks
or speaking the truth but
leaving some thoughts unsaid
honest has many facets
tell the truth sounds simple
tell the truth we tell children
but reality is it is not easy
to be honest even with oneself.
I like the complex introspection of this writing. I don't think honesty means full disclosure - keeping some thoughts to myself feels like boundaries, not deception. I think usually deception blocks intimacy and intimacy is a bigh goal of mine, but there are exceptions even there. When there is a choice between being kind and being honest, it is just hard.
ReplyDeleteThis is a great poem, Mary, about something that I struggle with. I do believe that honesty is always the best policy or the kindest or even necessary. I think being kind is more important.
ReplyDeleteJust to be clear: I meant to say that honest is NOT always the best policy.
ReplyDeleteI so agree with your honesty poem Mary. I think we all struggle with this issue of what to reveal and what honesty means. I too usually go for the being kind option. To me that is more important than being totally honest. Besides, what is "the" truth today may not be tomorrow.
ReplyDelete