Pages

Friday, March 15, 2019

Robin

Robin

Early spring robin dreams of rain and ground teeming with worms;
robin does not analyze but enjoys the ordinary.
We can learn from the robin to savor life as it happens.
This poem is a Sijo, a Korean form.  It is shared with Poets United Poetry Pantry.

I saw my first robins this week.  Actually several of them were visible from my house.  It amazed me really, as the snow has just pretty much all melted here.  The robins didn't waste any time.  There really is something about robins that makes me feel happy.  They are a sign of spring -- rebirth, new life.  I welcome all the greening that will take place in the weeks ahead.  I wrote this poem some years ago, but I still feel the same.  We have to savor life as it happens, enjoy the ordinary in each day.   Spring and robins bring feelings of optimism, hopefulness, appreciation.

26 comments:

  1. I saw my first robin last week too. Here, our daffs and crocuses and cherry blossoms are out.......I am so grateful for such ordinary joys, which, every spring, feel rather miraculous to me, watching all the life burgeoning after winter..........

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the sijo form. Robins seem to be such cheerful birds! (I grew up with them in Tasmania, but they are never seen in the much warmer clime where I live now.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love short forms, especially when use to describe a glimpse into the wonders of nature. They feel... natural. Just like the sight of that robin made you think of spring and the magic of the seasons and of how much we can learn from a lovely bird.

    I can't wait to try a sijo.

    Also, I'm with you... I don't get many robins where I am, but there is a family of bluejays that has claimed my terrace as their domain. And the moment I see them return for spring, everything feels a bit better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A cheery piece to greet this week's arrival of spring - just 4 days away now (March 20) - AT LONG LAST!!!

    Thanks for the introduction to the sijo form, Mary. Very cool.

    The spring robin in an inspiring symbol in encouraging us to learn to savor life; though, I suspect, that it is a quality that (we humans) often cultivate more readily with age … almost as if that wisdom comes - slowly - with the acceptance of our own - ever shortening - mortality.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Live in the moment.. good Robin advice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for introducing me to a new form, Mary, which is so fitting for a robin with its brief but solid form. As we live by a river, the ground in our garden is always damp and robins love it. Last week, when I was talking to my sister on the phone, a robin suddenly appeared, with its bright red breast and cheeky glinting eye, looking at me, head cocked. It would be lovely to see him again today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just looked in the mirror and saw the Robin that lives in my apartment;
    what a coincidence!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always feel a little lift when I start seeing the robins, knowing crocuses and sunny days aren't too far off.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an amazing form, Mary!❤️ And absolutely perfect poem for Spring which is just around the corner!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, I am thinking humans are the dumbest animals on the planet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely sijo, havent written in that form for sometime, must return to it though
    Happy Sunday warm wishes for your Spring greening soon.
    Happy you dropped by my sumie Sunday today

    Much💚love

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely...The first signs of spring. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Robins are one of the few birds that will remain on the ground--if I'm quiet--when I'm writing outside in the morning. Mockingbirds will swoop through (I'm assuming on a dare), but robins will just keep to their routine or settle back into it. This poem captures the beauty of their practicality.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah, we just watched a pair of robin couples fight for territory! I love t he way the perk up , stand tall and listen.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The Robins here are so different, but I think some of that feeling of living in the moment can be a great lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I live the sijo but then you know I love the Asian forms . Robins are such cheerful busy birds. I saw my first one three weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Be glad when spring is truly here. Saw a few robins the other day.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes, we can learn from robins. Often our over analyzing is so far from truth we couldn't find the meat of things anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  19. "robin does not analyze" I'm waiting for the robins. I love this poem.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am slowly, O so very slowly, learning to be a robin in enjoying the ordinary.

    ReplyDelete
  21. sijo is a lovely form, as your poem shows.
    no robins over here, mostly crows, mynahs, pigeons. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Mary, I just started seeing robins around here and I agree there is something wonderful about seeing them and enjoying the "now".

    ReplyDelete
  23. We could learn much from nature indeed. This is lovely Mary!

    ReplyDelete


Thank you for reading and responding! Your words are gold.