Pages

Friday, March 8, 2019

Spring

New Life Appearing in Germany This Spring

Spring

I know it is spring somewhere
a German friend shared flower photos
so I know it must be true -
but here there are still piles of snow.

No green yet to be seen
no buds yet on trees
no signs of new life
this has been a long winter.

So I will wait for our spring
faith there is life beneath the snow
I am excited now, optimistic
I love the longer days right now.

Each spring of my life is special
I really never know each autumn
when I know I must endure winter
If I will survive to see another spring.

And that is the crux of it for me
if I am being honest as I am now
as we approach the warming time:
I am confident I will see spring again.

So I will be patient for now
never mind the ice and snow
I have time to wait knowing
I will see greening once again.

I am  sharing this with Poets United Poetry Pantry.   I truly am waiting for spring.  I think the older one gets the more one appreciates spring, a season we cannot take for granted.  I never take it for granted.  When I go from autumn into winter, I always wonder.....will I see another spring?  Anyone else?



23 comments:

  1. I totally understand how you feel. Winter this year has been so cold and long that I too welcome the longer days. It is the tangibility I cling to right now hoping that we will "see greening once agin."

    ReplyDelete
  2. The other day i walked under a cherry tree and saw pink edging of buds getting ready to bloom and i felt JOY! Each spring it is like a miracle.........we have crocuses and daffodils out and the cherry trees are starting to flower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No viable signs of spring yet in the Northeast USA. Except, of course the quickening of my blood as you say in this poem. There are pictures from friends and a knowing that we will see the spring again. With that, and asking no questions about fall or next winter, I'm happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I live in the sub-tropics, we don't have the veery severe winters which must indeed make you wonder if you will ever see sunshine and new growth again. Even though this poem is so grounded in the natural world, I could also see it as metaphorical, as people wonder if our dire socio-political situations will ever be relieved.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sure waiting here too as the snow and ice are still in view

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been rereading the Complete Fairy Tales of Oscar Wilde, and your poem brings to mind a quote from from one of the stories, "He did not hate the Winter now, for he knew that it was merely Spring asleep, and that the flowers were resting."

    I think that every year I live, my waiting for spring grows more intense. Nothing against winter--all right, that's not true... I don't care much for the cold--it's just that spring is so good at reminding us of rebirth and wonderful things... Also, winter has a way of making what was already hard on the body and soul so much harder.

    Although I might not always wonder if I will see another spring, I always feel like the luckiest person in the universe every time I get to see another spring. We are lucky (I hope we continue to be for many years.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah yes … these last throes of winter truly do get us yearning for those lovely spring days … as we endeavour to fortify our patience with faith that those little green shoots will indeed - eventually - make an appearance. Seed catalogues help ~ smiles ~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, this optimism and anticipation for spring is beautifully rendered in your words. Let's keep the faith that there is life beneath every snow. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. No sign of Spring arriving here as well, Mary. But oh how immensely my perspective and I have changed this winter!❤️ This is a beautiful, beautiful poem that speaks of longing and tugs directly at the heart!❤️

    ReplyDelete
  10. Surely there is spring under the snow! Here it is 35C... but one knows the monsoon is just around the corner!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Greetings Mary, the underlying optimism of this poem shines gently though - just like the start of Spring itself... Very nicely done...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I used to be a fall person--I don't long for the summer heat--but this year, even without snow or much chill weather, the grey and constant reminder of floods past has made me long for sunnier skies and warmer days. That lift in the last two stanzas hit home.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Isn't it exciting to be approaching the warming time? Happiest of springs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A prelude to spring. It's coming! We'll be signing like the birds.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So many reasons to give thanks for Spring!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I notice the passing of time more now, as I watch the younglings in my life slowly evolve into adults. Every new spring I reflect on the changes since the last spring, as well as appreciate the fact I'm there to witness it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am waiting for spring too. I awoke to a fresh blanket of white. It seems as if it will never truly arrive. A couple of weeks ago when it was snowing I saw a robin sitting in a bare tree as the snow fluttered down. It was an unusual scene and I thought mother nature is surely playing a trick on me. It made me smile and I thought why are you here Mr. Robin? I feel, perhaps, it was a message that the wings of spring will soon fly in to lift our spirits.

    Have a wonderful day Mary, sorry this is so long.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Spring is not yet here either, even though the sun is gone, but the daylight is coming back which is the most important for me.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes all is but cyclical! well written!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nicely done, Mary! I’m afraid I have to admit to flowers in our garden – snowdrop, daffodils and a couple of hyacinths – and buds on the trees. I wish I could share some of it with those of you who are waiting patiently for spring. But what joy when it does appear!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Waiting with excitement, how precious
    Thanks for dropping by my sumie Sunday today Mary

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  22. It is a little early yet but the saying "If winter comes can spring be far behind" is always comforting. Mind you in Australia we are the wrong way round so whatever you are having we have got the opposite!

    ReplyDelete
  23. ah, you must be really waiting for spring.
    over here, it's just hot and sunny for a long time, every field is just a patch of brown. :)

    ReplyDelete


Thank you for reading and responding! Your words are gold.