Pages

Saturday, September 7, 2019

Autumn Day




Autumn Day

Autumn day
and I contemplate
how much time
I have yet
to enjoy resplendent scenes
of early morning.

Sky meets lake
creation reflects
sun dances
lake glitters
perhaps this is heaven's gate
to eternity.

Nature's  peace
Autumnal  reflection
waves ripple
and I yearn
to learn so much more
before the sun sets.

I took this photo one morning.  Each stanza of this poem is a shadorma.
I wrote it for Poets United Poetry Pantry a few years ago and was in the
mood to share it again.

19 comments:

  1. Oh yes, we need and hope for more time to take in the wonders............This is such a contemplative, lovely poem, Mary. And a gorgeous photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a lovely, calm clarity in this observational/contemplative piece … as you take in a beautiful scene while reflections come to you. I was struck by the compelling cadence of the shadorma form. I love poems like this - where the writer stops to look outward and inward. There is a lot of peace to be found there.

    And what a wonderful photo! An awesome post, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I echo everything that Wendy said!!!

    I am now thinking I must try using the shadorma this way myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The photograph shimmers with morning light, Mary, as does your poem, particularly the second stanza.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the wisdom in this poem - it seems to be all about loving the world (and life) and learning and growing

    ReplyDelete
  6. A most stunning poem, Mary!❤️ Autumn is my favorite season as it offers much to contemplate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great use of the form. Each stanza is lovely on its own, but I really like how well they come together in this thoughtful piece. It's just perfect in so many ways. I find my thoughts turning towards similar things too in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful photo and matching poem.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the rippling glitter here. This time of year does make me feel that my time is running out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi again Mary - good to be back here again and I think there is echoes here in the theme of Sherry's piece too - in respect of the bounty quiet reflection brings us... Great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mary, I feel autumn approaching too and I feel the days shortening. There is still so much to see and do. Lovely use of form. I am glad you decided to share again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The captures that side of Autumn just before summer ends, when you begin to think about endings, before the holidays kick in. Beautiful and wistful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The photo and your words are striking, memorable... and perfect for this time of year. With the approach of October, I think of reflections, of the thinning of The Veil, of transitions... and your poem makes me think of all that, especially the last lines.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Heaven's gate indeed...and your poem is a sweet reminder that perhaps only the thinnest of veils separates us from all that is in any given moment.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just taking the time to observe can lead to a lot of reflection indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You captured perfectly natures beauty. I’ve always said that true beauty is not in marble and steel, but in the natural things.

    ReplyDelete
  17. How much time do you have left? How much have I? A friend keeps asking me this unanswerable question: How many more Saturdays do you have to do what's important to you?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would love to be in such a peaceful place... to just be there and see the world come alive.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The calm and clear this poem shines like the morning. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete


Thank you for reading and responding! Your words are gold.