In One Second (Revisited)
In one second life can forever change;
someone becomes pregnant, falls
downstairs, opens the door to the
intruder, hears it's cancer, it's over,
it's too late, sees a look she was not
meant to see, speaks words without
thought, cannot pull them back, pulls
the trigger, encounters black ice, skids
can't stop. All it takes is one second
for life to twist down an unforeseen path
and directions to the former path are lost.
I wrote this poem on November 12, 2008. A bit of nostalgia. It is significant to me because it is the poem I linked in Poets United's VERY first Poetry Pantry on July 27, 2010. This week it is Poetry Pantry 494.
Wow, Mary, your first PU poem ever! I will go back and see which one I posted first, cool idea. I love this one, and it hits home as yesterday I heard of three such sudden life changes happening to people in my sphere - in one moment everything can change.
ReplyDeleteAll it takes is one second for things to change indeed, usually not good stuff either.
ReplyDeleteAnd you wrote it on my birthday! (I turned 71 that year. My Andrew was already deep in dementia, which became apparent about June of that year.) It's a powerful poem.
ReplyDeleteLove this thought provoking piece, Mary. It is something that has occurred to me at various one-second moments, though I have not given words to it. It is actually rather profound, I think: how life can turn around horribly and occasionally wonderfully (I have to believe ~ smiles ~ ) in the flick of an eye. It truly gives one pause to reflect on what a gift life is. I remember an old expression my Grandma used to use: if things aren't bad - they're good. That was her way of reminding us that things can always get worse - and I do try to remember that, even when life is not the greatest.
ReplyDeleteWhat a powerful poem - I'm glad you revisited it
ReplyDeleteYes, sadly life is like that, and is the very reason we should cherish every day and not waste away the hours. I am glad you reposted this Mary.
ReplyDeleteNice answers the question "How the heck did I end up HERE???" We never really know what to expect (except the unexpected), do we? Salute1
ReplyDeleteI remember those times where my world turned in just a second. And I'm thankful that for the most part they've been good or I've managed to get through with a strong support squad.
ReplyDeleteYes, in one second everything can change--but not always for the worse!
ReplyDeleteThat is so true in one second life changes. These changes can be good or bad. In one second a child could be born. A rainbow could appear after a bad storm. I do think there are pivotal times in our lives when change comes whether we like it or not. Somehow, we must find a way to push through the darkness as light is there waiting to be discovered.
ReplyDeleteWishing you a peaceful day my friend. Thank you for your support through the years.
thought-provoking piece of writing. yes, anything can change in a second, the winning or losing, life or injury, joy or grief.
ReplyDeleteyou had me looking back for my first post in Poets United, (July 2012). :)
A true poem, and resonant.
ReplyDeleteThis is incredibly poignant, Mary! Yes, life can change in a matter of seconds. Makes me realize we should never take anything for granted. Your words touched me to the core!❤️
ReplyDeleteAh, I feel so unprepared but change is always coming. It's closer now than ever before.
ReplyDeleteOh this is before I even started to write poetry... so much time has passed, yet I feel this to be so very true... it only takes a second, be it for worse and sometimes also for good, that lottery ticket or the kiss when you least expect it.
ReplyDeleteReally wonderful poem, and I love the history at PU it represents. It also makes me think about all the change we could/do choose in just one second if we have the courage and stamina to see it through. Maybe we could balance that which simply befalls us.
ReplyDeleteAs a cancer survivor, I can certainly attest to life that changes in one second! Great poem Mary and nice history behind it.
ReplyDeleteHow wonderful that you’ve gone back to the very first Poetry Pantry, Mary, and that you’ve revisited your poem, which is so true for everyone. I love the final lines.
ReplyDeleteSo very, very true.
ReplyDeleteWow--I love this--and it speaks to me so well this week--in one second your life can change forever!
ReplyDeleteRespected Mary your poem is striking and so true.I greatly appreciate your sincere devotion to the poetic cause.best regards.
ReplyDelete