Black
At first, it’s only the absence—
then the presence begins to breathe.
Sometimes rage, sometimes sadness,
the darkness of a black hole.
Wind tears the night apart;
sky turns heavy, metallic,
the color of fury before it breaks
as the world fades to dark.
In a room a dress hangs
between celebration and mourning.
the color that expresses everything—
formality, the grief, or perhaps
intentional understatement.
The unnamed man who would be king
keeps it in his chest like a weapon,
the darkness of a narcissistic soul.
He calls it vision,
but it stinks of rancid smoke
and pollutes the atmosphere.
There is sweetness as well --
a strand of licorice pulled between teeth,
melting slowly, coating the tongue,
staining the teeth,
bitterness covered with sugar
delicious.
My dog’s nose—
cool, shining—
presses into my palm,
as if to remind me
with her soulful ebony eyes
that darkness can love, too.
For my prompt at What's Going On? -- "Black or White"

Good will overcome evil - we have to continue believing that!
ReplyDeleteOne of my new favourites of yours, Mary. I resonate with every line, and LOVE the closing stanza, with Olive pressing her sweet nose into your palm. Jasmine used to put her head under my hand, demanding pats: "I'm here, I'm here!" A wonderful poem.
ReplyDeleteWhen black decides to become love it's got to be Olive's cuteness. Aww. There's much love in the description of "soulful ebony eyes" too.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete"Sometimes rage, sometimes sadness,
ReplyDeletethe darkness of a black hole."
I love this poem! It travels so smoothly through black as negative, as emotion, then as sweet and love. You have plumbed the depths. I wish I could share it!
Beautiful poem I love the line "In a room a dress hangs between celebration and mourning" and I love that last line- very strong
ReplyDeleteI love your reflections
ReplyDeleteBeautiful poem, Mary. It's amazing how our mood and state of mind can infuse black with such a variety of feelings.
ReplyDeleteYou run the gamut of "black," Mary, ending on a note that is so absolutely darling. Yes, "darkness can love too." ❤
ReplyDeleteHope is a wet nose tickling your hand 👍
ReplyDeleteThe opening lines are strong and one can feel the darkness creeping in. That dress in the third verse is a stunning image. I can picture a black dress and the mourning is real (for me).
ReplyDelete“wind tears the night apart” is such a wonderful opposite to the dog’s nose.
ReplyDeleteThat was me (Sara)
ReplyDelete