Pages

Tuesday, November 4, 2025

Little Squirrel


source

Little Squirrel

Little squirrel,
you scamper on the pavement
scamper in the yard,
dash through the colorful leaves.

What are you doing, little fella,
in this month of the year
(no longer summer
but not yet winter)?
Are you still burying nuts
or are you finding those
that you already buried?

Perhaps you are just enjoying
a frolic for pleasure
like I do, as I walk my dog
who finds you quite intriguing
and would like to chase you,
as she chases the leaves,
until you are both tired.

I wonder, scampering friend, 
what my dog would do with you
if she caught you--
but worry not, little squirrel.
I will protect you from harm
(and not let her loose)
as you go about your business
of living freely and happily
in this world we all share.


This was written for Sherry's post at What's Going On? -- Kinship

7 comments:

  1. Awwww, this is so sweet. Busy little squirrel, getting ready for winter, as all the animals are doing right now. I love this, Mary. I love poems with animals in them. I imagine Olive is indeed interested in the wee critter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a cute poem, Mary! The busy little squirrel and your playful Olive! It's indeed a very happy world when you exclude all the dark humans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can imagine that Olive is very interested and would love to give chase. The squirrel would dash up the nearest tree and sit and scold her for being so bold.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Perhaps you are just enjoying
    a frolic for pleasure
    like I do, as I walk my dog"
    I sense from this poem all three of you "scampering" with pleasure. I love the image of you carefree and able to wonder about the squirrel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How delightful and cute We don't see squirrels here but my mam had always one visiting in her garden and she loved it

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed your poem. On my daily walk I often encounter squirrels gathering food to store away for the cold months.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this. The squirrels are extra busy here where I am this time of year hiding all the acorns and pecans. Our daughter's dog loved to run outside and bark up at the trees where I believe the squirrels were laughing at him from the safety of their tree limbs.

    ReplyDelete


Thank you for reading and responding! Your words are gold.