Hope I
In these days of anger and anxiety
and dying inside from the stress of life
I will find hope in the cuddle of a dog
In these days of so much bad news
when everything is dark and bleak
I will find hope in the sunrise
In these days when things seem
to go from bad to worse to impossible
I will find hope in the crunch of leaves.
In these days when lies and hate
are more prevalent than tolerance and love
I will find hope in the smile at a stranger.
Hope II
In these days unlike any in my lifetime
in these days of every day a new low
in these days where truth is on holiday
in these days where the enemy list grows
in these days where the press is persecuted
in these days when nationalism is praised
I will strive to find hope.
For Sherry's prompt at "What's Going On" -- Hope
(I must confess that I have trouble with the word "hope" right now, so I looked back at poems that I wrote in the past and found these poems from 2018, which are still relevant to me. They still express how I feel today. In fact, I am amazed that even back in 2018 I was struggling with hope.)
(I must confess that I have trouble with the word "hope" right now, so I looked back at poems that I wrote in the past and found these poems from 2018, which are still relevant to me. They still express how I feel today. In fact, I am amazed that even back in 2018 I was struggling with hope.)
it is difficult to find optimism amid the wars, and woes, and worries of today, but there are glimpses of humanity and kindness. We must hang on to those, even as we make sure to defend ourselves.
ReplyDeleteWe have been struggling with hope for a long time, kiddo, since 2017, with a respite during President Biden's calm leadership. It really is worse than anyone could have expected and I have a hard time being hopeful too. But I did like the inspiration poems and hope being "the hardest love we carry".........our hopes for our children and grandchildren, and all the innocent beings on the planet whose future depends on good leadership. Canada is on fire from one end to the other - worse every year. Yet the climate crisis is completely ignored in North America. Sigh. Anyway, I hear you. I feel pretty dispirited myself.
ReplyDeleteMary it is indeed difficult to find hope in the world we currently live in. Perhaps, it is in the little everyday things that surround us. On the world stage there is so much despair. sigh...
ReplyDeleteBoth the poems show truth in its own colors. So they will always remain relevant Mary. "I will find hope in the cuddle of a dog" The face of Olive surfaces though she wasn't there at that time I know. Beautiful, strong and honest utterances.
ReplyDeleteHope II resonates with me today, Mary. In all the mess, I struggle to find hope. But then Hope I shows the many small ways to find hope close to home, and it is inspiring to me: That is where I turn, too, to the immediacy of life. Thank you for the 2 views!
ReplyDeleteBoth of your poems gave me hope, Mary, and I see we both find it in the sunrise, and I sometimes find it in the smile of a stranger. Everyone should strive for hope.
ReplyDelete"in these days where truth is on holiday"
ReplyDelete(well said). Finding hope in nature and animals makes sense to me.