Not Much Wildlife Visible
The day settles over everything with relentless heat.
Ninety-eight degrees leaves the fields without motion.
The deer have found their shelter in shadow.
The rabbit keeps to its cool hiding place.
Squirrels and chipmunks have withdrawn from the light.
Only the stillness of parched grass remains where I look.
The absence is not emptiness but quiet wisdom.
Life continues out of sight beyond what my eyes can find.
The hidden creatures understand the rhythm of this day.
Wise, they spend nothing against the blazing sun.
Within my home, I leave the afternoon to its silence,
knowing the slightly cooler evening will belong to them.
For Sumana's prompt at What's Going On? -- "Wildlife in Your Vicinity"
We are in the midst of an unusual heat wave. It is difficult to spend
any time at all outside. It will go on for a few more days. This morning
I took Olive for a walk at 5:30 A.M. before everything heated up.
Her paws would burn if I went out later in the day. Plus, on top of
that, air quality (due to fires in different places) outside is awful.

Oh dear! Ninety eight degrees is very hot indeed. It's an Indian atmosphere. Nature has made her wild children wise. I love the phrase "quiet wisdom". Your word pictures paint unease and alarm. Wildlife is careful and acting likewise. "The hidden creatures understand the rhythm of this day." So true.
ReplyDeleteYes, way too hot for Olive.........I hope the wild creatures can find coolness somewhere. They are all struggling. With some from the wildfires staying in is a good idea.
ReplyDeleteIt is scorching hot here as well - I love your ending - Jae
ReplyDeleteSounds like our summers in Oz. Stay cool...use a spray water bottle behind the knees ...it works. I am writing this huddled under two fur rugs and two duvets. Give me the heat any day:)...Rall
ReplyDeleteSummers here are nothing like they used to be. The air across the city
ReplyDeletewas a nightmarish yellow haze. Keep the pups safe!