No Matter What the Grief
No matter what the grief there is kindness
an unexpected card arrives with a personal message
a woman holds a glass door open and I have
no choice but to walk through the door
the telephone rings and the caller trusts me
with something important knowing I care about.
A boy with inquisitive eyes seeks me out
then follows me as I wander the forest
I present him with a handful of leaves
red, yellow, orange, and crunchy brown
he smiles at my gift and then gives me
a handful of acorns to feed squirrels.
So it goes on, this kindness, if I look for it
all day it continues as the light appears
on the path where there had been darkness
the robin flies overhead for the last time
and the leaves crunch beneath my feet
no matter what the grief there is kindness.
For Sherry's prompt "Small Kindnesses" at What's Going On?

This is lovely, Mary. These are the things that ease our heartache. The vast majority of people are very kind and will do all they can to help others. I need to always remember that. I especially love the crunchy leaves in your poem. Soon it will be that time of year. I do love fall and all the leaf colour.
ReplyDelete'No matter what the grief there is kindness" how lovely that this truth opens and closes this poem. I like your details, especially those about "A boy with inquisitive eyes ." Wonderful.
ReplyDeleteThe way the poem begins and ends will set everyone into deep thinking. Kindness rules but life is not without grief. The examples are beautiful especially the approaching darkness, not without beauty.
ReplyDeleteNo matter the grief kindness is is there giving one hope. Kindness is everywhere yet it seems elusive in today's world.
ReplyDelete"no matter what the grief there is kindness."
ReplyDeleteThis poem shines with kindness, Mary!