Fear of Cats
My mother was terrified of cats.
When she visited an older woman
in our neighborhood at night, and
it was time for her to walk home
she would telephone me and I
walk across the street to
walked home with her to protect
her in case she encountered a cat.
I really wish now I knew why she
was deathly afraid of cats, why
she screamed when she saw
one. I don't know what she thought
they would do. Her fear was intense.
there were two cats I knew who
terrified me as well. One lived with
a family I babysat for. The cat,
a big one with penetrating eyes,
would sit across the room and
stare at me. Its eyes would follow
me wherever I went. It seemed
threatening to me, and I wished it
would just leave me alone. I could
hardly wait until the woman and
man got home. Then one time
when I lived with a crazy roommate
and was afraid one night I went
to sleep at the apartment of a friend
because I wanted to be safe.
She had a cat. I slept on the couch,
and all night this catannoyed me.
It sat on top ofthe couch, waved its
tail in my face. I had dreams of
suffication. If I turned on my side,
it would put its head in my
face, breathe on me. One time
it pounced right onto my stomach.
I could not sleep, and I wished I had
stayed in my apartment with the
crazy roommate there, as it
couldn't have been any worse
than enduring a night with this
cat. On top of it all, it made
me sneeze. At this point in
my life I am not afraid of cats.
I can look at them and even
find some of them beautiful,
but they still make me sneeze.
My mother and grandmother were also terrified of cats - thougth they carried disease, especially mange which for some reason horrified them. I was grown before I learned I really do like cats.
ReplyDeleteWhat fun to see your words again. I know you weren't posting for a while (I did too.)
ReplyDeleteI am not really fearful of cats to a great extent but I feel the need to keep alert when they are around. LOL