Pages

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Nothing to Declare

Nothing to Declare

I bought nothing during the Danube
River cruise or visits to other cities
in Germany. There were few opportunities to
shop, and when they appeared, I had no
strong desire for the items available
or I knew I could find the same thing at home
or they were made in China or sold
just for tourists or I thought I would find
something I liked better later. In Eastern
Europe it was too complex to deal with
the money or if I figured out the price it
was too expensive when I didn't love the
item that momentarily attracted me.
I wanted one souvenir, yearned to have
something special to take
home. I never found that thing, so I came
home from three weeks in Europe with
wonderful pictures and special memories,
but not one thing to declare.

2 comments:

  1. Good poem Mary - and I find more and more often, nothing I want in shops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is how I feel now about a lot of my trips. There is just nothing I want BUT I really do want to have a souvenier. I keep thinking something will pop up that I will think..yes, I will collect this thing from now on so I'll have a remembrance. Something that won't be a waste of money. I haven't figured out what that will be though.

    ReplyDelete


Thank you for reading and responding! Your words are gold.