Pages

Monday, February 23, 2026

Unspoken



Unspoken

There are whole conversations
I have with myself
that never reach the air,
things I would like to say
but do not.

I imagine saying the words aloud,
watch the room shift,
watch a face change.
I rehearse the aftermath
and decide against it.

Some truths are sharp.
There are things and people I detest.
There are sorrows and angers 
that weigh me down, 
but what would be repaired
by their release?

My fears would not disappear
under someone's examination.
My sadness or anger would not shrink
because of being named out loud.
Those I detest would not
become more likeable.

No one is holding the missing piece
that could make it all better.
No one carries a magic answer
for what lives inside me.

Most often  it feels wiser
to let the storm pass
without commentary.

So I keep the silence
not as surrender
but as restraint,
guarding others
from the weight
of what I carry inside,
guarding myself
from having to explain
the unexplainable,
knowing nothing 
would change with
the sharing.

Instead, I move
to another place.

I open a book
and step into someone else’s weather.
Or I walk my trail or
work out in the gym
until my breath drowns out thought,
until my feelings turn
into muscle and motion
and all is good.

The unspoken remains—
not gone,
only set aside
in the dark of my mind,
where even I may forget
what I meant to say.

Written for my prompt at "What's Going On? -- Unspoken


8 comments:

  1. You have described this so well. I go through the same process. I have learned saying some things out loud wont solve or change anything, just create reactivity in the listener and more problems. I choose peace. "Instead I move to another place." I love that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This resonates with so many, I think. Releasing our anger doesn't relieve it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "what would be repaired
    by their release?"
    What a beautiful poem, truly, you state the desire to speak, the anticipation of response, and then the solution you find, and the peace that follows. I relate. Love this poem!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how this moves and the conclusion that perhaps unsettling feelings can fade with time - Jae

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful reflective piece Very philosophical

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, Mary, the older I get the more I choose silence. Silence is often the best solution, especially if one's uttered words will be unheeded, or directed towards deaf ears... Well penned!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, many thoughts we leave in our minds. Why don't we bring them out? Saving a friendship? Not ever a good opertunity? Lots of excuses. Do they do harm to our mind ? Lots more reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "I open a book
    and step into someone else’s weather."

    That works well for me, an escape from what I wanted to say,
    but didn't. This poem is probably relatable to many of us.
    So well written, Mary!

    ReplyDelete


Thank you for reading and responding! Your words are gold.