Seeking Shelter
I write in a trance today.
My heart isn’t in it,
yet I continue—
wondering why, and for how long.
Raise a glass, make a toast, know I'm not far away. As you look for me out of the corner of your eye or find me in your dreams, picture me with a smile and happy, know that we will meet again.
Seeking Shelter
I write in a trance today.
My heart isn’t in it,
yet I continue—
wondering why, and for how long.
I look for a place to shelter
from the evils of the world--
somewhere to burrow,
a little calm for my anxious heart.
I play the New York Times Wordle,
a small, clever escape,
a workout for the mind—
though the news still always finds me.
I play with my dog,
look into her deep eyes,
so dependent, so innocent.
Her warmth steadies me.
I find shelter in plans,
in dreams that may not happen—
to visit Copenhagen again,
the quiet utopia of my soul.
Written for my prompt at What's Going On? -- "Shelter"
We do need to find some shelter for our hearts.....you are so lucky to have dogs. A dream of visiting Copenhagen sounds good.
ReplyDeleteTo consider something pleasant is a good way to escape unpleasant reality sometimes.
ReplyDelete"I look for a place to shelter
ReplyDeletefrom the evils of the world"
And each action you include is true--I may need to get another cat. But I also love the photo you include, which captures the need for shelter and safety so well.
😊
DeleteI am glad you can find an inner sanctuary in the world - that there are small glimpses of light outside ourselves- Jae
ReplyDeleteYour dog does it for me.
ReplyDeleteThank you,Mary for hosting.
aww the dog does bring some warmth and oh I do hope you get to go to Copenhagen ❤️
ReplyDeleteAh! Delighted my soul. The words--its perfectly endured.
ReplyDeleteIn the picture what animal is seeking shelter inside your log? I've seen them before, they are cute.
ReplyDeleteAdorable picture ! Pets and poems will make you safe.
ReplyDeleteI feel your pain. I too Wordle (and Connections) but shun the news as best I can. It is never good.
ReplyDeleteAnimals bring joy into the heart. I too find shelter here:
ReplyDeleteI find shelter in plans,
in dreams that may not happen—
Animals provide a lovely shelter. I love that photo.
ReplyDeleteI play 5 NY Times word games. They are a great escape,
but the world has a way of drifting back in.