I Am No Botanist
I am no botanist
I cannot tell you the names of plants
even if I have seen them one hundred times.
I forget names, though I know their faces.
I am struck by their beauty especially in spring
when so many colors dance together happily,
vie for everyone's attention and love.
I am no botanist
but I can appreciate beauty anyway
I can love them and tell each of them
I will really try to recognize them next year
and meanwhile continue to enjoy each of them
as summer continues on even though
their outer beauty will slowly fade away.
For Sherry's prompt "Choosing Beauty" at What's Going On?

LOL. You had me at the title. I dont know the name of a single plant or bird, and only my favourite flowers. Spring is especially lovely, and, like you, I will enjoy the splendour all the way through to fall..........out front we now have every pot and raised bed planter planted and it is so much fun checking them each morning to see what is popping up. One thing that keeps me going is how much beauty there is everywhere all the time. I am so grateful for that.
ReplyDeleteI can remember the names of many garden plants, but wild flowers fox me - I learn one new one a year, if I'm lucky.
ReplyDeleteThank you!
ReplyDelete"I am no botanist
ReplyDeletebut I can appreciate beauty anyway"...This is important. What's in a name, anyway? Smiles. The tinge of sadness in the closing line is touching.
I am sure a true botanist enjoys the flowers as much as you do - despite perhaps knowing their names - a lovely write - Jae
ReplyDeleteYour love of beautiful flowers negates the need to know thieir names.
ReplyDeleteHa! Thankfully we don't have to be botanists to enjoy them! Plus, some of their "scientific" names can be so hard to remember anyway. I enjoyed your delightful poem, Mary.
ReplyDeleteI am no botanists but I don't think we need to be one to appreciate their beauty. There are some purple and white wildflowers that grow around the lakeside. I have no clue what their proper name might be. I just called them wildflowers.
ReplyDeleteA lovely poem, Mary, and beauty needs no name, As the Bard said: "What's in a name? That which we call a rose, by any other name would smell as sweet."
ReplyDeleteThis made me smile, Mary Who needs the names when the flowers are already catch our attention. I love how "the colours happily dance together"
ReplyDeleteAs long as you enjoy their beauty. I never remember names of flowers or birds, but I love both.
ReplyDelete