Pages

Monday, July 20, 2026

Mathematics

Mathematics

I learned that two plus two equaled four,

and for most of my life
that seemed dependable,
the sort of thing
that did not ask
who was speaking.

Lately, though,
it appears that two plus two
can become six
if six is more useful,
or three
if three serves the moment,
provided a certain someone
says it often enough.

Numbers no longer count.
They campaign.

A war can be stopped
eight times,
or six,
or ten,
depending on the day's applause.

An election can be won
long after the ballots
have been counted,
recounted,
audited,
certified,
and counted once more,
because arithmetic
is expected to surrender
to insistence.

Crowds become the largest
ever assembled,
even when empty sections
wait patiently in the background,
visible to anyone
who still believes
that addition begins with looking.

Deficits become larger and larger
but who is keeping count?
Fortunes grow, multiply each year,
but it is all legal, you know!

Written for Susan's prompt "Mathematics" at What's Going On?



7 comments:

  1. "Numbers no longer count.
    They campaign."
    Perfect! I love this poem with its truths and satire and snarkiness. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this, especially the lines Susan quotes! Even basic math cant be counted on any more, in this delusional reality some people live in. I really resonate with this poem!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When math becomes day to day living, it's like this poem. Sharp and brilliant, Mary! "but it is all legal, you know!"--- Spot on! The punctuation mark speaks volumes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never really got mathematics and these days I find it even more difficult to square the circle. Your poem is so true, Mary. Things that once seemed dependable in the world are not, and it’s all down to that certain someone. Surely we as a planet can do something about him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great and clever poem Mary Love it like "Numbers no longer count. They campaign and "because arithmetic is expected to surrender
    to insistence." Fantastic writing

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful it would be to live in a world where everything adds up - Jae

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Numbers no longer count.
    They campaign."
    I love this, and the rest of this fabulous poem!

    ReplyDelete


Thank you for reading and responding! Your words are gold.