Pages

Sunday, December 14, 2025

Silence




 Silence

Silence welcomes me home—
at last  my tired feet are up,
tea is warm in my hands.

Silence unsettles
when calls go unanswered,
when texts are not responded to.

Silence stings and hurts
when I speak to someone
and nothing comes back.

Silence deepens on Christmas Eve—
distant church bells drifting,
the world celebrates a birth.

Silence troubles me
when harm spreads
and so many say nothing.

Silence becomes worship
when I pause in stillness,
and offer thanks without words.

Silence settles at bedtime,
the noise of daytime  fading,
rest finally near.


This is written for Sumana's prompt "Silence" at What's Going On?







9 comments:

  1. As you state so eloquently, silence can be a blessing or a curse, a welcome friend or an enemy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I so resonate with this, Mary - every stanza. I love coming home to silence and peacefulness, too, and a warm cup of tea - and living in the peacefulness day after day. I especially feel the silence in response to spreading harm. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how the theme capitalizes on the dualities of 'silence'. All the examples given are perfect and speak of our own experiences.
    "Silence becomes worship
    when I pause in stillness,
    and offer thanks without words." My favorite stanza where even a single word would be like noise. How beautiful, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Silence welcomes me home—
    at last my tired feet are up,
    tea is warm in my hands."
    I feel this welcome, and hope that it can end the day toward peace whatever the wounds of silence sting and trouble. I like how you weave together the positive and negative aspects of your experience, all of which can occur in a day before the welcome home. I identify. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many ways silence affects us in good and bad ways. I love "Silence becomes worship, when I pause in stillness, and offer thanks without words"

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many facets to that notion of silence. A strong response to the prompt, Mary. Thanks! Amy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the switching of feelings with each verse - it seems to flow in and out - like breathing or the bell sounding - Jae

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good poem re silence in all of its forms

    ReplyDelete


Thank you for reading and responding! Your words are gold.