Pages

Monday, December 29, 2025

The Last Things I Remember


The Last Things I'll Remember

The backyard lawn where I would lie out in the sun to tan,
with a book in my hand, a transistor radio blaring the
popular songs of the day, the warmth, slight breeze, summer

The clothesline, filled with sheets, towels, shirts, underwear,
pajamas, drying all day in the warm sun, bleaching, the smell
of fresh air baked into them, so crisp and clean, blowing.

The petunias and geraniums, my mother knees on the ground,
hands in the earth, planting and caring for them, weeds did 
not have a chance, watered with care, tended with love.

The lawnmowers, first a hand mower, my dad pushing,
then a power mower, orange, easier to use, sometimes I
would mow the lawn then, work I thought was fun.

The smell of leaves burning in fall, my dad made a
fire in fall, the flames dancing, the smell pungent, sky
dark overhead, my dad standing watch with a rake.

The front porch, sitting out on a warm summer night,
talking to neighbors who walked by, playing starlight
moonlight, watching fireflies dance, under the moon.


For Sherry's prompt at What's Going On? -- "The Last Things I Remember"

9 comments:

  1. Such beautiful memories, Mary. I especially love the lines about the smell of leaves burning, a smell that takes me back to teen years, walking home after school, with fathers outside in the yard burning leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Each verse is a moving tableau that jogged similar memories in me. I especially like the transistor radio, "the smell of fresh air" baked into the sheets, mother tending the garden on her knees, the 2 lawnmowers, the burning leaves, and "the fireflies dance." Love all of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely word pictures of memorable times, more meaningful than any grand expedition.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this flow of gentleness so tenderly woven into words. All the fond memories of a life so beautifully lived touches deeply, Mary. I can't get over the flower stanza as well as the 'fall' stanza. There's no one like mother or father.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you have captured the past with all senses - particularly the smells - it is amazing how we remember them and can capture their spirit still - jae

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yard work is fun for the younger. You covered that well, rings bells for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a bright, peaceful and happy world of childhood memories, Mary! Your vivid poetry transported me there beside you. Happy New year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely memories, Liked the orange lawn mower and the transistor radio. Happy New Year !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are all beautiful memories to carry you to the other side of here. I still like to lie outside in my hammock and read in the summer sun. Sounds like you had a wonderful childhood.

    ReplyDelete


Thank you for reading and responding! Your words are gold.