Pages

Tuesday, December 23, 2025

Twilight



photo taken by me

Twilight

Twilight.
Between day
and night.

Life moves the same way:
childhood,
youth,
adulthood,
and then this—
late adulthood,
the hour before dark.

This is where I am:
late twilight.
Wine in hand.
The sun easing down.
Still active.
Still tasting joy.
Still aware
the light is thinning.

Twilight is not night,
but it knows night is coming.
There is no stopping it,
no bargaining
with the horizon.

So—
cheese with the wine.
A quiet toast.
Not surrender,
but acknowledgment
of the dark ahead.

Written for Susan's prompt "Twilight" at What's Going On?




9 comments:

  1. I really feel this poem, Mary. Not surrender, but acknowlegment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We cannot stop the march of time, so must surrender gracefully to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this attitude of acceptance. It's bold and honest. A good one, Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Twilight is not night,
    but it knows night is coming."
    Le me join you in that wine and cheese toast, Mary. I love this poem--simple, true, forward looking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For now - enjoying wine and being and lasting light is a wonderful seems wonderful indeed - Seasons Greetings - jae

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too welcome twilight, Mary. Grateful as my heart and soul are full of the light that has illuminated my life and looking forward to the darkness that will bring a restful sleep... Beautiful poem, cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. For me the most important line in this poem is 'still active' 👏

    ReplyDelete
  8. Acknowledgement is the perfect description.

    ReplyDelete


Thank you for reading and responding! Your words are gold.