Pages

Monday, January 19, 2026

Peace

 




 Photos With Permission of Photographer

Peace

They walk the long road
from Texas to Washington,
robes and sandals,
nothing extra.

Their lives are simple.
Purposeful—
resolved.

Day after day they walk.

I imagine myself beside them,
learning how to move
without urgency,
without rage
without fear
without anxiety.

Aloka walks with them,
nose to the ground,
heart untroubled
by flags or slogans
or evil intentions.
He loves the road
because it is there.

I want to be
like Aloka.

These days
my heart is loud
with politics,
disbelief, anger,
fear.

I cannot settle safely.
I want another way.

Peace, maybe,
is not silence
but choosing
where to place each foot.

One step.
Another.
Leaving something behind.


For Susan's prompt at What's Going On:  "Peace"


8 comments:

  1. This is my all-time favourite of your poems, Mary! It is perfect. "I want to be like Aloka." Me, too. "Peace, maybe, is not silence but choosing where to place each foot." This is true wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I imagine myself beside them,
    learning how to move
    without urgency,
    without rage
    without fear
    without anxiety." Oh, yes! "One step. / Another. / Leaving something behind." It feels like peace to me, too--to be able to take strong actions in the spirit of peace. I love this poem!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the sense of solidarity and hopefulness the monks bring - Jae

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh these beautiful peaceful monks Very impressive I love the lines Peace, maybe,
    is not silence
    but choosing
    where to place each foot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "choosing where to place each foot." - peace is found in our choices. Nicely done 👏

    ReplyDelete
  6. A wonderful poem, Mary, evoking Gandhi's "Satyagraha" and its power to bring about change and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to be like Aloka too. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish to be Aloka. Maybe choosing where to place each foot is the key.

    Excellent poem, Mary!

    ReplyDelete


Thank you for reading and responding! Your words are gold.