![]() |
| Tulip,Violet, and Basil |
If Dogs Contemplate Death
If dogs contemplate death I do not perceive it
they relish today, savor the bowl of kibble
delight in a walk or a game of fetch.
If dogs ponder death they do not reveal it
perhaps that is one reason I love dogs
they acknowledge, appreciate what is today.
If dogs envision death they suppress it
occupied with their conventional lives
proclaim that death is inconsequential
If dogs consider death they overlook it
as part of life they cannot control.
What's the use of knowing after all?
-------------------------------------------------
I wrote this poem 11 (not ten!) years ago, and as I looked back at my old poems I still find it relevant. By now both Tulip and Violet have crossed the rainbow bridge, and Basil is 15 years old and still going strong for his age. I agree with the sentiments of the poem. Basil, at 15, still savors life, still delights in his food, cuddles in my lap, shows some 'spark' when he plays. Below is a photo of Basil (as he looks today) and his more recently arrived sister Olive living their best life!
For Sherry's prompt at What's Going On? -- "Ten Years Ago"


We should all learn from our beloved dogs and relish our daily lives.
ReplyDeleteI love this, and the photos. Dogs are masters at Being Here Now. I so love that about them. And their joy in the small things teaches us a lot about gratitude.
ReplyDeleteI like the philosophy in the poem. A very honest and straight forward attitude to life. The poem also reveals your deep love for your pets, Mary. And it's heartening to know that Basil is still going strong. Love the cute photo. Smiles.
ReplyDeleteWow!
ReplyDelete"If dogs contemplate death I do not perceive it
they relish today, savor the bowl of kibble
delight in a walk or a game of fetch."
Cats, too, "living their best life." If I could choose, I'd come back as a beloved cat. The photo is wonderful.
That is indeed something we should learn from our very wise animal companions, Mary... I can fully identify as we lost our little Chihuahua Pepito due to recurrent health problems (a genetic disease) after a lovely five years together. Many years after, now it still hurts. Lovely poem!
ReplyDeleteDogs are so much wiser than people. Every moment is a new joy!
ReplyDelete