Raise a glass, make a toast, know I'm not far away. As you look for me out of the corner of your eye or find me in your dreams, picture me with a smile and happy, know that we will meet again.
Tuesday, March 24, 2026
Children
A Childlike Adventure
I yearn to be one of the boxcar children
or to live in the house at pooh corner
where I'll ride on my own black beauty
alongside the mouse and his motorcycle
Perhaps I'll discover the secret garden
in the place where the sidewalk ends
then wander up my side of the mountain
just the little prince and madeline and me
I'll solve the mystery of the wrinkle in time
and reveal everything that brown bear sees
then peer wistfully at the goodnight moon
as I wait for the time you reach me.
I'll travel on the little engine that could
to where the mountain meets the moon
to be able to answer the call of the wild
before I finally paddle to the sea.
This is submitted for Sumana's prompt: Child/Children at What's Going On? Perhaps not exactly what she had in mind, but......
I have referred to SEVENTEEN children's books in the poem above. Fifteen lines have one children's book, and one line has the name of two!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I love all the references to children's stories. Very clever!
ReplyDeleteThis poem makes me so happy! You took me back to all those beloved books, that took us away as we read them back then and showed us magical worlds. One of my new favourites of yours. I love it.
ReplyDeleteWell, I didn't know all the books, but I know the feeling and the desire. I especially like the lines "then peer wistfully at the goodnight moon
ReplyDeleteas I wait for the time you reach me." I want this great adventure before I travel to the sea, too.
I can see a child peeping through the lines showing us the world of books. I love the way you've made this prompt work. Pure joy, Mary.
ReplyDeleteOh a delightful magic poem of the children's world Love it
ReplyDeleteWhat a unique take on the prompt - and brought up some wonderful reading memories - Jae
ReplyDeleteHistórias infantis nos encantam. Gostei de te ler!
ReplyDeletebeijos, chica
How wonderful to recall all those children's books. This is written so cleverly. Made me smile.
ReplyDelete