Pages

Tuesday, March 31, 2026

Truth

Truth

How can I write about truth
when so much of what I hear is lies?
There is little I can say.

I wonder how they live with themselves
when their mouths speak untruths
as if they were profound.

They claim to be people of god,
yet break the 9th commandment daily
and feign allegiance to their lord.

What message do the young receive,
with lies presented every day as truth?
Will society become truthless in the end?


Written for Susan's prompt at "What's Going On" -- Truth

6 comments:

  1. The picture of Pinocchio hit me right off! If only people's noses would grow longer. I like your inclusion of the 9th commandment and the sin even in the life of the spirit. I, too, wonder where the culture of lying will end up. I'm thinking Animal Farm. Strong poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, Mary. It is hard to find words for how horrible everything is. Faint hope of anything improving soon with this lot in charge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The contrast between Truth and the fake world around is very much pronounced in the third stanza. When society becomes "truthless'' it ceases to exist. Frightening!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trump is making the USA the pariah of the world. No-one is going to trust it again for decades, I fear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seria bom realmente se os narizes crecessem para mostrar quem mente. Mas assim não é! Ela está disfarçada em TUDO! Pena! beijos, chica

    ReplyDelete
  6. A stark realisation here - painfully so in its message - Jae

    ReplyDelete


Thank you for reading and responding! Your words are gold.