Pages

Sunday, April 5, 2026

This Poem



This Poem

This poem is an island
surrounded by water
I live on this island
I am surrounded by beauty
and the restless sounds of the sea,
waves speak in tongues I try to understand.

This poem is a forest
outside of the town
I live in this forest
I am surrounded by beauty
that lives beneath the trees,
between the depth of roots and the breath of leaves.

This poem is a mountain
reaching to the sky
I live in this mountain
I am surrounded by beauty
as I look down at the world,
clouds drift like peaceful thoughts below me.

This poem is a river
cutting through stone
I float on this river
I am surrounded by beauty
in its endless becoming,
each moment gone before I can hold it.

This poem is a sky
without any edge
I live in this sky
I am surrounded by beauty
in its widening silence,
which encompasses everything and is happy.


Written for Sherry's prompt at What's Going On:  "This Poem...."


10 comments:

  1. Oh, Mary, what this poem is is a beauty. I love every line, especially the expansiveness of that sky towards the end. Absolutely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This poem is filled with beautiful images. I enjoyed it immensely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful, and an antidote to the misery of our current world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I am surrounded by beauty"
    Absolutely! This poem testifies from your part in all segments of nature, and it implies that there could be a next verse and a next--a never ending tribute to our place in this world. I love the expansiveness of silence in the sky at the poems end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The poem breathes peace. Love the lines: "I am surrounded by beauty / in its endless becoming,.." All the images are deep and vast especially the 'widening silence' leading towards an 'endlessness'. Beautiful, Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful thing that your poem can gift you so much - Jae

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh what a beauty I love this whole poem ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  8. This poem is filled with beautiful images from earth to sky

    ReplyDelete
  9. You truely have a verdant and lush poem.

    ReplyDelete


Thank you for reading and responding! Your words are gold.