(My current pets)
Pets I Have Known
This is a hard subject for me
because I think back at four
beloved pets that I have lost
as well as being grateful for
two that live with me still.
Dixie was the one who started it all
came home with us from Alabama
given to us free in a souvenir store
an accidental offspring of an
American Eskimo and a 'black menace'
who taught me how to be a pet parent.
Then there was Bear, another offspring
of an accidental breeder, half chow chow
(she had a half black tongue) and half
something unknown. She was a beautiful
dog, but she had some irritating issues
but I loved her anyway.
Next there was sweet Violet,
a toy fox terrier from a breeder,
the first of my three fox terriers.
I was able to take her anywhere,
carried her in a large yellow purse,
and no one knew there was a dog inside.
Then there was Tulip, my 'heart' dog,
my second toy fox terrier who came
from the same breeder as Violet,
and who had a white heart on her face
(or was it a tulip?) and was the
best lap dog ever. I still miss her.
Then there was Basil who was part
of a rescue of a few dozen toy fox terriers
from a dog hoarder home. He was very
small and spunky and still is with me
cuddling on my lap at age fifteen
and still relatively healthy too.
Then there was Olive who came from
a Havanese breeder, a delightful friend
turning two years old this month.
A lover of a dog who keeps me active
and melts my heart when she looks at me.
Olive is a dog that everyone loves!
(Both Deceased)
For Susan's Prompt at What's Going On? -- Pets I Have Known


Oh, all the photos! Wonderful. This is a poem to cherish as it shows your pet journey--from the one who taught you "how to be a pet parent" to the two you still have, one "small and spunky" and cuddly and the other "A lover of a dog who keeps me active
ReplyDeleteand melts my heart when she looks at me." It looks like the dogs like each other, too.
Olive melts our heart too, Mary. So glad that we get to see her often on your Display Picture. Your love for them shows so beautifully in your words! They are/were familiar to us too.
ReplyDeleteI loved reading about all the dogs, several of whom I have watched through the years on your site and facebook. Hard to believe Basil is 15 and Olive is two. The years FLY!
ReplyDeleteA beautiful remembrance - Jae
ReplyDeleteI am sure this is a hard subject to write about. The loss of beloved four legged friends can be painful. I remember there being three for a while.
ReplyDeleteSo many dogs, so much love. It is so cruel that their life expectancy is so much shorter than ours.
ReplyDeleteWhat a delightful image of you carrying Violet in your yellow purse with no one knowing she was inside! Made me smile :-) You also reminded me that I want a lap dog someday, as most of my canine friends have been too big for that and my current cat is not much of one at all!
ReplyDeleteHard to believe Basil is 15! Olive is a sweetheart. I love looking at your photos each week.
ReplyDelete