Revisiting My Childhood Backyard
The backyard clotheslines were always full
sheets one day, towels another, then clothes
of all varieties. Sun bleached things, wind
gave them a fresh smell. I inhaled sheets
with eyes closed, fresh as rain, wind, clouds.
And I still see my mother talking to the neighbor,
clothespins in hand, also was hanging clothes
My mouth still waters for the Dad's hamburgers,
grilled on the large Weber grill, eaten at
the white wooden picnic table with chips,
or corn on the cob dripping with butter.
The picnic table also served as a rocket ship
or hospital for neighborhood kids at play
other times or other days.
Dad pitched baseballs in the backyard
under the elm tree, which gave us shade.
The summers were hot , sun beat down;
we didn't worry about sunscreen those days.
Mother watered flowers, tended vegetables;
nothing like a ripened tomato off the vine
or dirt-crusted carrots pulled from the earth.
Fourth of July we snuggled, covered with blankets,
on the cushions of metal glider in the backyard,
watched the fireworks set off from City Park
on the other side of the river. It was always cold
this mid summer holiday. We oohed
and aahed at the bursts and the flashes,
and it was hard to see the celebration end.
Sometimes we set up a tent in the backyard
to play camping or war or just to have a secret spot
where we could laugh, gossip, and tell stories;
and occasionally we acquired a large refrigerator box
and we would roll and roll and roll in it just for fun.
Sometimes we attached the sprinkler, ran through it
in bathing suits to cool off on hot summer days.
If I close my eyes tightly, I am back there in my backyard
playing badminton, marbles, reading beneath the elm,
soaking up summer as if there was to be no tomorrow,
and of course the summers of childhood came to an end,
and I grew up, moved away, my parents passed away,
house was sold, and nothing will ever be the same;
but the house still stands and the memories still remain.
For Sherry's prompt "Solastalgia" at What's Going On.

Your poem took me all the way back. Yes, those clotheslines with sheets smelling like sunshine and wind. Sigh. The women vied to see who would get their wash out first. I imagine wringer washers too, back then. Your childhood sounds so safe and wonderful, Mary. Such a beautiful and nostalgic poem. Sigh. Those were the days.
ReplyDeleteSuch wonderful memories are like home where one is soothed and refreshed. Lovely to have a glimpse of you in the lines.
ReplyDeleteI still have the experience of your beautiful first stanza. Smiles.
As the song says, they can't take that away from me (memories)
ReplyDeleteThe memories still remain and what wonderful memories you have shared.
ReplyDelete"I inhaled sheets
ReplyDeletewith eyes closed, fresh as rain, wind, clouds."
Wonderful details bring those days back to me. We lived in the backyard as if it were another room, especially for the children. Now, living separately in a retirement community, I've given up my last backyard. I'm grateful for the memory.
I love the image of the clothesline & clothes pins. we could not do that where i lived, but my friend in Brooklyn had a mom who did this. their apt faced a courtyard. it’s a wonderful memory.
ReplyDeleteit’s Sara
ReplyDelete