Pages

Monday, May 11, 2026

Sometimes Sadness.....A Reflection on Fall

 



 
Sometimes Sadness.....A Reflection on Fall
 
 
Sometimes sadness hits all of a sudden without warning
and there is nothing to do but to acknowledge the feeling
and shed the tears that need to be shed and not question
but accept that feelings are what they are, cannot be fought,
must be acknowledged, knowing tomorrow is another day.

The leaves are beautiful in autumn, yellows, reds, oranges;
then all eventually turn brown, then fall silently to the ground.
Death is a part of life, sadness is a reality of life, everything cycles;
we must accept the cycles, work within them, acknowledge
whatever is momentarily happy will eventually turn sad.

Life can be, often is, beautiful, and I appreciate that
in fall with so much beauty everywhere in my midst;
but I cannot deny there is also another side for me --
sadness that hits all of a sudden without warning,
knowledge that green turns red, then turns brown.

For my prompt "Sadness" and What's Going On?











8 comments:

  1. Reflective and true. On another day, in a different mood, sadness gives way to optimism and joy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way this poem illustrates emotions with the colour of fall leaves, green to red to brown. Like our moods move so easily between sadness, gratitude and grief.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pain and sadness is part of life. It is a reality that you have addressed in a poignant and sensitive way. Beautiful poem

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this acceptance of 'reality' that lifts the heart into a space of calmness. The contemplative mood is deeply touching. Beautiful, Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the almost silent meditative state in which your thoughts flow - it seems like both acceptance and hope - Jae

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sadness affects different folk in different ways. When I lived in New Hampshire I was happy to see the leaves drop. Then I could see the lay of the land. More than half the year that was obscured by tree leaves. Here in our Texas part the trees keep their leaves.
    Thanks Mary, for hosting with the nice prompt thought to stir us up to thoughts to a writing mood.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When things are not going well even the normal seasonal changes can be a kind of bother. How very true Mary!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everything goes. in cycles. This is a wonderful illustration of that, Mary.

    ReplyDelete


Thank you for reading and responding! Your words are gold.