The Last Apple
Already so much has disappeared. I know
that one apple after another will soon fall.
What bothers me the most is that faith
has receded from view -- faith that people
will do the right thing, evil will not win,
God will use power to change things,
or that God has power or compassion at all.
There is always something to grieve--
people I lost touch with, grew away from,
or who changed in such a way that is hard.
Thankfully, there are still reasons to rejoice--
life is precious and continues, I am not
yet under siege. I still have time, birds
sing, dogs keep me in a good routine,
the sun still shines giving life and hope.
But on tree in a far away orchard, there is
one last apple hanging on for dear life
knowing its days are numbered, that
soon it too will fall, as will we all.
No power can change that.
For Sumana's prompt "Power" at "What's Going On?"

I love the way you've used 'power' in different examples and woven politics, faith, doubt, providence, nature and time into a single frame keeping 'power' in focus. Wonderful, Mary.
ReplyDeleteSo much to grieve, and I am hapy that you list the things that lift our spirits. Democracy is hanging by a thread. We can only hope people rise up in numbers too great to ignore next time they vote.
ReplyDeleteSome beautiful reflections on the cycle of life. It is a comfort perhaps to know that apples will continue to grow - Jae
ReplyDeleteI loved your poetic ponderings and indeed no power can change the fate of that last apple
ReplyDelete"What bothers me the most is that faith
ReplyDeletehas receded from view . . . "
From the first Biblical apple to the last apple, you imply the beginning of faith as you point to the end of it. Thank God for our routines (and faith?) that maintain us as things wind down around us. A poignant poem.
I like the ways you used power. Perfect use of the apple.
ReplyDelete