Pages

Saturday, November 14, 2015

Imagine



Imagine

Imagine, yes imagine,
what it would be like
if we could live in peace!

Imagine, yes imagine
what it would be like
if we could have no fear.

Imagine, yes imagine..
imagine, yes imagine..
no I really cannot see

how it will ever be possible
for hateful killing to end
and evil to be controlled.

Imagine, yes imagine
I wish I could imagine
peace not drifting further away.


I am sharing this with Poets United Poetry Pantry!  It is written the day after the horrific terrorist attacks in the city of Paris.  I don't know if everyone heard the story of the anonymous man who carried his piano on his bike & set it up outside of the concert hall where 118 people had just been murdered & played John Lennon's "Imagine."  After he played, he left.  As far as I know they still do not know who he was.  I have shared his moving You Tube video above.  Let us all stand with France.   Let us all stand for peace.

(Afterword:  They have now identified the pianist....
Paris pianist identified as Davide Martello from Konstanz, Germany)

25 comments:

  1. Right now it feels we have lost our capacity to imagine and dream. As tragedies follow tragedies, we also lose our capacity to imagine a brighter and more peaceful future. Let us hope we can dream again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very moving Mary. I hope we can continue to imagine a world with peace. And that must have been some bicycle to carry that piano.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tears here, Mary. I am trying not to lose hope, but I couldn't even write about all the senseless deaths this week. This poem is a sweetness, its wish is a sweetness. We will have to help each other imagine. Thank you for the video.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was very moving, Mary, as is your poem. It is all horrifying. For certain, lobbing bombs back and forth will never produce peace. I begin to wonder if humankind will ever achieve it. That man playing that song, in that place, speaks to our dearest hopes and wishes for a better world. Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i am touched, mary, by the poem and the photograph, and so grieved bythe violence in Paris - by all the recent violence. I do need to continue to imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unless we acknowledge and deal with the real causes, the mindless engine of war will chug on. Sadly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. War and terrorism is big business while many weep some rub their hands in glee as more armaments are sold to whoever wants them. Mankind has a poor history of loving their neighbor. Perhaps one day along with pigs flying.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thankfully humanity prevails - and often such terrible acts are reminders of how wonderful people can be - if only that can be sustained..wherever we are in the world and no matter what we believe...peaceful Sunday to you Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really find it so hard when something that feels naturals has to be a fantasy,.. Peace is natural, war is not.

    ReplyDelete
  10. a wonderful contemplation Mary, have a blessed Sunday

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful video...it is hard to imagine a world of peace these days and that is sad...but I am continuing to hope for that peace...and it does begin we each of us. I guess that is why the words came so easily for my poem today...

    ReplyDelete
  12. i think we can only hope that one day there will be peace among all humankind. there are just too many different opinions and agendas.
    your poem is a timely reminder of this plight.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sadly all we can do is imagine. No more.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Would be nice if such a day came to be. Never heard of him doing that, wow.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a touching poem Mary.. the attacks on France left me feeling horrified! Hope and pray for peace and an end to terrorism. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Some days, peace seems an unattainable ideal. Thanks for reminding us of its enduring importance.

    ReplyDelete
  17. some people really know how to create peace..and help people gather the courage to bear tragedies that strike suddenly...I stand for peace

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for sharing this wonderful video, Mary.
    It's really so sad what has happened in Paris. Your poem is extremely moving.
    Let us do our little bit, to spread peace and love.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've seen this video a few times, Mary, and it brings tears each time, as it did just now. Your words made them flow fresh again this morning. Thank you for that release and your tribute. I too stand for France, and I remember how France stood in solidarity with us after 9/11. I continue to have hope, I simply must.

    ReplyDelete
  20. We need imagine more......thank you for post, Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I saw the video and it brought tears in my eyes. A short yet very powerful video.

    One can wish, Mary. Sometimes I just create a world in my mind that helps me forget the cruelness in the world. Hoping for a better world for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It might be difficult to imagine peace after those horrific acts of hatred, but that just means we have to work harder at it. It is said that if one can see it in the mind, then it is possible. Love the song, and the video...and your very real and human poem.

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  23. In the aftermath of Friday's horrible events, my poetic muse went in the same direction as yours, Mary ... Imagine ... In such dark days, in seems as though, that is one of the few things we have left to us, that confers a bit of peace. Though your last line "I wish I could imagine peace not drifting further away" I think - sadly, but very accurately - speaks to the level of despair humankind is experiencing after such a senseless, vicious atrocity.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Let's hope for peace everywhere!! Humbles.....
    The video is beautiful....moving! Thanks for sharing, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  25. If only we can live in peace. It had not been the case as the pull of greed and power had through the ages pitted the strong against the weak. Remember Genghiz Khan and Alexander the Great among others!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete


Thank you for reading and responding! Your words are gold.