Pages

Tuesday, November 3, 2015

The Traveler



The Traveler

I wander in my mind these days
live with rich memories of adventure
not that I am finished traveling
I'm saving more journeys for tomorrow.

     She told me she wanted to travel young
     and she did see the world in a grand way
     was perhaps the envy of all she knew

     I often think about her when I think travel
     wish she had lived to take more journeys
     she loved life but died too young

     She'd wanted to store memories for future
     but never dreamed future was not to be
     memories departed with her life too soon

I wander in my mind these days
live with rich memories of adventure
not that I'm finished traveling
I hope for time for journeys tomorrow.

This is written for dVerse Poetics where we are writing about travel.

17 comments:

  1. How sad that she died too young and was not able to travel as much as she could ~

    I am glad that you have traveled a lot before Mary and you have those rich memories of adventure ~ Surely, there are more journeys for tomorrow ~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having such memories to look back on up in the mind to think about is grand. Stinks indeed when one dies young and never gets to remember fondly or travel more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the strengths of your poem is the contrast between an open future where traveling is still an option and memories of the one who will never travel again. I like how you have framed your poem with a repetition of a stanza that feels different after the three stanzas in the middle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a tragic loss when one dies too young.. a beautifully poignant piece.

    Lots of love,
    Sanaa

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful that she made those journeys and fulfilled some dreams before she died. I love the repetition of "not that I'm finished traveling." The cool thing about life - it goes on, and we take more journeys, many unexpected. Actually, just about ALL of them unexpected, LOL. Loved this, Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bittersweet...it sounds like she died with many good memories, and that you have made some sweet ones of your own

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes. Bittersweet is the perfect word. All those memories, all the thoughts of tomorrow that never came. My mother has Alzheimer's. I talk to her several times a day getting her to remember things for me she does better at remembering my first Christmas than what she had for breakfast. I get her to share the memories dreading the day they will be gone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A poignant reminded to go when the wanderlust beckons..who knows what the road will be like tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad your travels are not over and I'm glad that 'she' had the opportunity too before it was too late. Nice, Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a poignant reminder that life is short and to seize the opportunities we have to make meaningful memories while we can!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember her with great love. She did know how to enjoy every adventure. And she did die too soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The two voices here... there are too many travelers dying too young, we always think we will have those memories to sustain us, but when it ends it has still filled her life with meaning compared to those who postponed their travel.

    ReplyDelete
  13. One cries for those who could not fulfill their desire to see as much of the world. They scraped to build up a hoard but spent it all in paying for the house and could not travel early in life.

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like this, Mary...reminds of my mother who died younger than she planned but am glad for the trips she and Dad were able to enjoy together before her time here was done!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think I know who you write about here and it is a good reminder to continue to travel and see the things we want to because none of us knows how long we have. Nicely penned.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really empathized with this piece ... I share a similar story with a loved one who has passed, who "never dreamed future was not to be memories departed with her life too soon".

    ReplyDelete


Thank you for reading and responding! Your words are gold.