Pages

Monday, November 9, 2015

Reflection





Reflection

I don't remember when
I first thought of seasons as metaphor
childhood as spring
adulthood as summer
middle age as autumn
and then winter we don't
want to think about or name

but I do remember when
a hospice chaplain explained
in autumn he would bring
colored leaves to bedsides
of the dying which he used to weave
stories of the cycle of life
all part of God's intention

so when I think about weather
the wind rain and snow
the sun and the warm breeze
I can't help but reflect
that everything has a reason
and weather colors each season
and all is part of the plan.


This poem is shared with dVerse Open Link!

25 comments:

  1. I like the reflective mood of your poem, Mary. "everything has a reason" and everything has a season too. I think that why I find the hospice chaplain story so powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never thought of seasons like that, but it does ring true. Yeah, blah to winter in every way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty, I have long associated seasons and weather with life stages and events. As for winter, I have always thought of it as a time of embracement and purification that heralds in new life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so true: the tiny green shoots of spring, the vibrant, healthy flora of summer, the dried leaves of autumn - which you articulated in such a moving way - and, finally, the white snowfall of winter. Somehow thinking about the cycles of the seasons - as a metaphor for life - does bring comfort to thoughts of the inevitable. An evocative, soothing piece, Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Indeed Mary--the seasons of life and how we weave through them--this was spot on for me

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! Weaving the colors, stories, and thoughts insightfully!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like that every season is a metaphor of our life Mary ~ But I also believe it is a state of mind, and as long as one is productive and energized by life, he or she is always in spring, blooming ~ Have a good week ~

    ReplyDelete
  8. To extend your lovely metaphor...after winter comes new life...an eternal spring/summer :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. and weather colors each season
    and all is part of the plan.

    Such a profound piece of work here.. indeed the weather adds to the plan of each season and displays its color :D

    Lots of love,
    Sanaa

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really love this .. such a good metaphor, and so real and obvious, I love the thought of bringing autumn leaves to the hospice beds.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "I first thought of seasons as metaphor
    childhood as spring
    adulthood as summer
    middle age as autumn"

    Love this Mary - never thought about life and seasons this way.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so lovely. It fits perfectly as the words and images play off the seasons. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So nice, Mary. I love the comparison of life's seasons to nature's. I like that chaplain's idea of bringing leaves into the rooms of those who were dying to bring comfort too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so thought provoking, Mary. I love seasons of our lives. Such a perfect metaphor. I think I'm homing in on winter, not wanting to let go of the beauty of autumn.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is indeed a lot easier when people believe that everything is happening according to a predetrmined plan. But the hospice chaplain sounds like a kind man.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is the search for the plan, the need to understand...

    ReplyDelete
  17. The seasons of life each bringing change. It is windy and rainy here the leaves are almost all gone and I am sure snow will soon fall and blanket the earth.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It is indeed part of the plan. You wrote it as a poem but my silly brain translated it to the most delicate haibun - the chaplain - oh the chaplain! How sensitive and beautiful were his actions. And after the long sleep, there is spring. This is a wonderful write and it made my heart smile.

    ReplyDelete
  19. But I also think of winter as a time of quiet, turning inwards, regeneration...
    A gentle, lyrical poem, tinged with melancholy but truth too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is very cheering. Thank you, Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very well thought out Mary! The relationship among the seasons is a brilliant way of seeing it and you had it ended with a finality!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your words remind me of the lyrics to "Corner of the Sky" from the musical "Pippin" and The Birds classic song "Turn, Turn, Turn". Everything has its symbolism, time and place.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Good perspective on the seasons, especially winter. This makes me appreciatw the promise of new spring in heaven.Peace, Linda

    ReplyDelete


Thank you for reading and responding! Your words are gold.