Pages

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The Candle




The Candle

My candle burns at both ends
I am trapped in the midpoint,
feel the searing heat of flames
advance ever closer to me.

I know soon ends will merge,
and as I scream in pain
I will change into mere wax,
weep onto the counter top

to spread my thin essence
all directions before
I solidify once more
changed forever.

(Written for today's Carry on Tuesday prompt, "My candle burns at both ends," from the Edna St. Vincent Millay poem First Fig.)















 

19 comments:

  1. Vety intricate thinking. Strange how we all can interpret one thought so differently and, unique too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a unique take on the prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking of the pain you describe so well takes my breath away, Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Profound writing and self-awareness. You shine, Mary, like the candle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes YES YES. This describes what I have experienced only once in my life, transformation through pain of the defining role of my life being destroyed, and then, through and after the tears, the resolidification as someone new. The thing I realized writing this response is that as much as I was changed, the essence of the wax remained and remains the same.

    ReplyDelete
  6. love this one. great description of what pain feels like and done in a unique way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Incredible poem, the pain, being left forever changed, vivid.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your poem leaves me yearning to take away your pain, Mary. I can't, of course. I can only scream along with you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a vivid image and apt metaphor for difficult situations. Excellent writing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "My candle burns at both ends
    I am trapped in the midpoint,
    feel the searing heat of flames
    advance ever closer to me."


    I've known this situation all too well. Great write.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I"ve had a couple of meltdowns from doing too much and burning out. Good take on the prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Burning at boths ends and the pain you describe, was really well done. Although hopefully that pain never lasts. Great write.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I enjoyed this Mary. I took it as a metaphor of death. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Truth carries your poem. Beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I feel like that quite often, Mary. I love how you compared going through difficult times and growing stronger to the burning candles.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I first saw this poem in the book my sisters keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  17. * I meant the st. Edna version.

    ReplyDelete
  18. There is always light at the end of the tunnel.............Oh and at the beginning to!

    ReplyDelete


Thank you for reading and responding! Your words are gold.