Pages

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Memories




Memories

Memories captivate me
soothe me, comfort me.
I spent morning with pictures
and with your music,

and I saw you again
smiling, dancing, laughing,
so alive and vibrant
and I heard you speak.

Now that you are gone,
I'm glad I have pictures
poems, words, memories,
your paintings, your books.

A friend suggested I
write a letter to you
each day. I will do that,
as I don't want to lose you.

I will send  my words off
on the wings of a butterfly,
trust you will see them.
treasure them where you are,

and I  know that
       we will see one another
              on the other side
                     sometime soon.

(Written for Sunday Scribblings.  The word was 'captivate.')

34 comments:

  1. This just brings me to tears. I am so glad you will be writing her each day. Your memories are so poignant and beautiful. I can see her and hear her through your words. Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad your memories are bringing you a measure of joy in time of loss, Mary. This is a beautiful tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't try and push the pain away, the secret is, to embrace it, pull it into you and hold it and love it as all a part of the same love you had for your partner because, it is. Most of us go through the' please, take it away from me, I don't want to hurt this much anymore' but, the answer is, you shared the love and, there is all sides to love, not just the happiness and joy side, the pain of it is the hurting side but, it is still a part of that same deep felt soul love.
    If you can, try to learn to embrace it. Once love exists it cannot then un-exist therefore, the love you shared hasn't ceased because one of you has ceased to be, it is eternal and will always be there. Just different now, for you.
    If I can help you in any way, please feel free to email me, anytime. I truly have been where you are now. Nursed my partner for nearly 2 years 24/7.
    One day at a time, sometimes hour by hour and moment by moment.
    Keep writing, this is beautiful Mary.
    Bren.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary, this is beautiful. I love the idea of writing Diane a letter every day. I so understand what Daydreamertoo has said. A friend of mine lost his young wife to cancer when their son was only seven. He said the feeling he had,holding her hand as she died, was the same feeling he had, holding her hand as their son was born. When I spoke of the pain of loss being the other side of the love they had shared, he smiled at me and said, simply, "It's part of the deal." I have often heard it said, about the holiness of the feeling when death comes, it is a portal to the next world. She has not ceased to be, only ceased to be visible to us. Still near.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Mary,
    How are you?

    My heart goes out to you and I'm truly sorry for your loss.

    This is simply beautiful and touches me more than these few words can ever say.

    Take your time to grieve. One never truly gets over the loss of a loved one, but in time your pain will ease (I lost my dad when I was in my early teens & I never got to spend enough time with him, but his memory will always remain with me.)

    Surround yourself with your memories of love and let them embrace you. In that way, Diane will still be alive in your heart.

    I think it's a wonderful idea to write letters to her. Then you can say in your letters what you may not have been able to say in person. I hope by writing it also helps with your grieving.

    There's a quote I've written that I have on my blog page. It reads like this:

    "Even though every form of life will eventually experience death's embrace, love remains the only living thing that cannot die at the doorsteps of death..."

    You are very brave for writing your feelings for us all to read and I thank you for your honesty.

    I'm sending you virtual hugs & kisses to let you know that you're not alone.

    Best wishes, my friend.

    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is very touching, Mary... sending hugs your way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary, your poem is beautiful and touching. So very real. I'm glad you will write to Diane and have the butterfly messenger send your letters.

    ReplyDelete
  8. so sorry, Mary. Anonymous is me. (Love, Lynne, who wishes she would quit doing that!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Writing to, talking to and even blogging about a lost loved one does help a little. I find that I can talk and walk and laugh with my dear wife who died seven months ago. But the hurt you feel is good it measures your love for them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very poignant walk through grief! Thanks for sharing such an intimate part of your life! Wishing you a peaceful heart with snippets of joy between the lines of grief!!!

    Big hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  11. A real achievement to sculpt all that from the prompt. Amazingly well done.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Butterflies are trustworthy guardians of memories..beautiful piece..Jae

    ReplyDelete
  13. These sincere emotions are very touching.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, I love this! I was thinking just how personal memories are. No one has the same set, that we do, and even on days, that seem blank, we are still full of memories, where we've been, what we've done. And often it takes just a picture, a melody to recall time past. In my recent robbery, they took two very personal things, that hurt me so. And I wondered will I soon forget the memories these two things held? I hope not, as one involved my sister, and one was the last gift my husband gave to me... I love all that you have done, and I know you are walking this path gracefully filled with the wonder of the magic that comes at this time. It takes a lot of energy, so get lots of rest.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Touching and heartfelt, love will reach unimaginable distances and places. <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. So difficult to say goodbye, pack away the memories and learn to live with an empty space. I think writing about it is a very good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. aw, mary, just sending love to you. please keep on with your beautiful true words.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I could feel such love in your words...this poem moved me deeply.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think that at times when we are feeling grief or strong emotion, that it opens us up to the great stream of life.

    We become closer to the fundamentally important things and are a clearer channel because of this.

    Your words here are beautiful and contain something more than just nicely composed words, they contain an energy, an essence, and they are touching people.

    Much love to you Mary. x

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am glad you are writing it all out, Mary. The process is so soothing. I am also glad that you have so many wonderful ways of remembering, reliving, loving. That relationship so blesses you both.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Loss is never easy. But there is comfort and hope when we can hang on to memories of those we love. My heart and thoughts go out to you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. So touching _ loss is difficult and your ability to express your grief is amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Back to read it again and it is just as moving and beautiful the second time around. Lovely, Mary, that she still sings and dances in memory. A golden girl.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love this, especially the idea of sending off messages on the wings of a butterfly

    ReplyDelete
  25. So many have made so many lovely and meaningful responses to your poem here about your plan to write letters to Diane, I feel rather inadequate to add anything. Keeping the connection with Diane alive by writing letters to her is such a wonderful idea and I bet it will also be a source for lots of good poetry. I particularly like this poem with the butterfly wings carrying your thoughts--lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This touched me deeply. Thank you for sharing your grief and the comforting beauty of memories and love that lives beyond this realm.

    Aeria

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is so beautiful n' touching~
    All of our creative means can reach out and touch one's soul~ So happy you shared this one! xXx

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm glad the memories are good for you now that Diane has passed instead of just painful. The thought of you writing her a letter each day and sending the messages by butterfly seems just right. Though I think of Diane as dragonfly. Maybe one of those can carry an occasional message. i do believe the two of you will dance and laugh and talk together again, soon enough but not too soon.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Mary,

    Writing, listening to music and enjoying the joys of nature, are all good nourishment for not just the soul, but the heart also.

    Best Wishes, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  30. Very lovely. Memories like those we should practice every day to keep clear and fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  31. a beautiful piece here - the idea of writing a letter every day - ah - so nice - a great write here - the echoes of time and tinge of goodbye - poignant wordcrafting - nice!

    ReplyDelete


Thank you for reading and responding! Your words are gold.