Raise a glass, make a toast, know I'm not far away. As you look for me out of the corner of your eye or find me in your dreams, picture me with a smile and happy, know that we will meet again.
Sunday, July 10, 2011
Untitled
Untitled
Melancholy desolate images
combine with twisted logic
and gallop through my thoughts
like the whirr of a buzz saw.
I struggle to resist, to release
myself from their agonizing grip,
instead to cool myself in the river
of relaxation and saunter serenely
through flaxen fields of memories
to ignite the instinct to revive.
Though the world is a darker place
than it was yesterday, somberly
I will attempt to rekindle hope
through the flutter of butterfly wings,
the flow into gentle whims,
and the writing of a poem.
(This poem was written in response to the words at today's Sunday Whirl. I didn't know if I would be able to do it today as this is a difficult time, but a poem arose. For those of you who have known or sensed on some level, or those just responded kindly to my poetry of the past few months, I just want to acknowledge:
Rest in peace, Diane. You are now in a better place.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Mary, this is a beautiful tribute to your relationship and what you shared with Diane. Yes, you did it. Love and hugs, and know my thoughts are with you,
ReplyDeleteElizabeth
So beautiful, Mary, and I applaud you for writing your way through. Yes, there will be butterfly wings, and I know there will be moments when you feel the brush of angel wings against your cheek, too, as Diane hovers near. You saw her through bravely and beautifully.
ReplyDeleteAlways attempt to rekindle hope - the dark days need not remain. And those we love that have passed would want to see us in the light.
ReplyDeleteBlessings to you both. It is a time of magic and you have written a beautiful piece.
ReplyDeleteOh Mary, Mary. You are such a master writer of these deep and heartfelt poems. Love to you in these dark days.
ReplyDeleteMary~ I'm so sorry for your loss, but glad you're putting your muse to work. That helped me a lot when a dear friend died. Cherish the memories for through them Diane will live on.
ReplyDeleteYour words take us in gentle progression from the pain of loss and melancholy, to the knowledge that healing will come soon.
ReplyDeleteBlessings to you.
"A poem arose," perhaps into you ear from the lips of your new muse.
ReplyDeleteMary, an absolutely beautiful poem. Indeed this is a trying time for you, but I believe writing will help. Hugs to you.
ReplyDeletePamela
Wow, Mary, for a response using so many prompt words, you created a piece that feels like it came straight from the heart, straight from the gut. Excellent result!
ReplyDeletehttp://www.kimnelsonwrites.com/2011/07/09/altered-reverie/
I don't know what your relationship was to Diane because I've only just begun reading you but, please accept my heartfelt sympathy for your loss.
ReplyDeleteThe prose is lovely, deep and meaningful.
It's difficult but, keep on keeping on.
This is a very beautiful and familiar poem to me Mary - the feelings I mean. I really get the reluctant revival after a life shattering loss, and I honor your commitment to move slowly back toward life.
ReplyDeleteI feel your pain, your agony, it is good, to rekindle hope, to write poems.
ReplyDeleteMary, I am sorry for your pain, your loss. This poem is a strong first step from the depths of sadness.
ReplyDeletea powerful piece that is touchingly emotive
ReplyDeleteBeautiful thought. May it be fulfilled.
ReplyDeleteMary, This work is proof that beauty can come from suffering. You wrote someting deeply heartfelt that speaks to many people. This is what I call soul food...because it is feeding our souls. I love the last stanza. Thank you,
ReplyDelete~Brenda
Dear Mary, I am very sorry for your loss. I agree with Brenda that great beauty shines through this suffering. I love the beautiful, sad and yet hopeful ending
ReplyDeleterekindle hope
through the flutter of butterfly wings,
the flow into gentle whims,
and the writing of a poem
This is a deep and meaningful poem Mary. Our thoughts are with you.
ReplyDeleteMary, my thoughts are with you in your time of loss. This poem is beautiful though sad, and I think it's appropriate you left it Untitled. Sometimes it's better if we don't label what we're feeling...
ReplyDeleteLove the poem and the clouds for your background. Each side looks like a puzzle piece waiting to be joined to one another. With hope and time the whiter clouds will overtake the darker clouds. Godspeed.
ReplyDeleteStrong, powerful and beautiful. So hard to believe that this contains the wordle words. I agree with Traci about leaving it untitled. Love to you. x
ReplyDeletelove the imagery very much,
ReplyDeletesuperb piece.
Mary, I like the courage of this poem, which is about trying to move through melancholy to a happier place. I have been stymied lately, a little down myself, and have not been writing, so this has inspired me. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteRichard