Pages

Saturday, May 9, 2020

How I am Not Alone

How I Am Not Alone

Because when I took the blankets out of the dryer
both dogs were ecstatic waiting to cuddle in them instead

Because we had a meal together, one that she had made

Because the geese outside are noisy and draw attention
to themselves

Because when we took a walk we saw a man cutting his lawn

Because the man walked with his dog down the hill and then up again

Because we watched The Crown together

Because I read a book my sister had liked

Because my daughter sent a text

Because we talked about ordering groceries and decided on a list

Because we planned to order Thai curbside delivery someday next week

Because we had a Zoom movie discussion, and it really seemed like the
others were in the room

Because poetry keeps me a bit connected with poetry

Because I sometimes see what others are doing via social media

Because we share our days together

Because she ordered a Mary Oliver book for me

Because I have memories of how it was before

Because the grass grows and the bright sun gives hope

I am not alone.


Wild Writing
Day 16

3 comments:

  1. We are never alone if we open our eyes to it! <3 Thank you for this uplifting poem

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so lovely, the more so "because I have memories of how it was before." Yes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! It sometimes feel as if we were alone together, which is what your poem conveys so well!

    ReplyDelete


Thank you for reading and responding! Your words are gold.