Pages

Saturday, March 9, 2013

Come Healing



Come Healing

Come healing of the spirit
come healing of the limb
give me one more day to live
I will sing my grateful hymn.

All lab results turn out fine
no evidence of disease
the surgery is a success
benign puts the mind at ease.

In accident walk out unscathed
tornado doesn't touch ground
nasty fall nothing broken
lightning strikes, nothing downed.

Often our gift is another day to live
all turns out well again and again
we can plan once more for tomorrow
breathe easily, say a heartfelt amen.

Come healing of the spirit

come healing of the limb
give me one more day to live
I will sing my grateful hymn.
 
This is written for  dVerse Poetics where Gretchen Leary had us write to music.  Also shared with Poetry Pantry #141. I wrote to Leonard Cohen's 2012 song "Come Healing."  The italicized words are taken from his song.  The You-Tube recording was from his 2012 concert in Montreal.  I have been very well aware lately of all of the healings/good news we have heard in our lives.  (I am also well aware that some time, some day the news will not be good....but that is for another day.)

58 comments:

  1. A very beautiful poem ... I liked the spirit of being thankful to God for granting us one more day to live ,,, true, we should be happy and not take things for granted !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so love this, Mary........love the way you open and close with Leonard's words, the poem comes full circle........yes, we can only be grateful for another day's grace! One of your best poems, kiddo, one of my faves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grateful for another day we are above ground indeed. Good news especially with health is good at any feed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a good day when all the lab results turn out fine (I await mine next week) ~ Our gift is another day to live ~

    Happy Saturday ~

    ReplyDelete
  5. we can be thankful for all the good things in life...when the lab results are good..surgery goes well...yeah...but can never take it for granted..i like the thankfulness and the knowing that it's day by day by day... cool blend of your and cohen's words as well mary..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh! I especially love the third stanza, the concept of escaping the storm. I know the feeling of dreading test results and will continue to wondering at each followup for awhile. Hang in there. Stay strong. :) Loved the poem'

    ReplyDelete
  7. ah i know that song well....smiles...each day we have been given is a gift to do with what we wish...each a precious thing. as we never know what might take it from us...positive lab results...i would take and run...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mary, this is such a true thing you have written. I was warmed and lifted up by reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. come healing... beautiful words and song... may healing come for at least another day

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello,

    I know this song and Leonard Cohen is amazing I like the way you have woven your thoughts into his . May we all find hope in a new day and healing. Peace...

    ReplyDelete
  11. ...ah, Lord I thank thee for the gift of another day... from warm blankets to the glossy window... a blue ocean feathered bird drops a little hay... little chirps are coming in few days i know... truly heart warming Mary & your admiration to Mr. Cohen's songs is really adorable... i wish you a day of brightest blessings my friend... with a beautiful heart... smiles...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the blend here, Mary. One day we won't be so lucky with the lab results, but for now we should just live like there is no tomorrow. That is my take on things anyhow.

    Pamela
    btw; what happened to you with my prompt with Victoria at dVerse? I thought for sure you would have written to it. I was/am a bit saddened by that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You've made me count my blessings. Beautifully and respectfully written

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry, Pamela. No poem came to me in regard to the subject; and I can't write if there is no idea there.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just love the message in this Mary. So many of those moments when we wait for testing results or experience near misses highlight the gift of each new day.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Healing and health...yes, today I have them, and I am grateful. Tomorrow might be different. That's grace for another day. Very nice, Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Much needed read. Very inspiring. Love it. A blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A beautiful poem, Mary. One of my favorites of yours. You are right - as one ages, it is what one thinks of. Well done.k.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's Sunday with me, so a positive hymn seems very apt.

    ReplyDelete
  20. A beautiful poem! Packed with emotion and the glory of survival. I would not change a thing and I absolutely love:
    "In accident walk out unscathed
    tornado doesn't touch ground
    nasty fall nothing broken
    lightning strikes, nothing downed."

    Maybe it is my favorite because I live in Missouri; but really it is because I know how great it is to get to live another day.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just love this so , so true let be thankful for health and healing...bkm

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's happiness knowing everything's well! This is the age when little things can bring on big things if we're not careful! Nicely Mary!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beutiful poem, and I love how you integrated Cohen's lyrics. It make a lot of sense. I will think about this.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Brave of you to pitch with Leonard Cohen, but you do him proud. A beautiful refrain.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Another day, another worry, another healing, another sigh.
    We all understand a heartfelt cry.

    ReplyDelete
  26. One of my all-time favorite gospel songs, and you do it beautiful tribute with your poem!
    As you might guess, I went a similar direction with my post: http://charleslmashburn.wordpress.com/2013/03/10/i-dont-know-alan-jackson/

    ReplyDelete
  27. A song that should be sung loudly, great wrlte!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Yes, a lovely song and one that is shared (or absolutely must be) at everyone's most basic level. Humming away :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I feel that you wrote this for me--and I bet many readers will feel the same. Beauty, Beautiful, and a necessary perspective to be blessed with more life! And thank you for the "Gates of Mercy." Thank you, Mary, for this experience on this day.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Mary..We must cultivate the habit of being grateful for every good thing that comes our way...so beautifully penned, such a creative piece. That's a lovely video!!
    beautiful....:))

    ReplyDelete
  31. Such a beautiful poem, a great reminder to be grateful for being here another day.

    ReplyDelete
  32. great message, Mary.
    yes, we must be grateful for another day.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Many of us can identify with this feeling of being on a knife edge between gratitude and fearfulness.

    ReplyDelete
  34. It sounds like you indeed have been 'in touch' with the tone and words of this song which caused you to write about it in Cohen form...a strong connection for you..and a reminder for us ;)

    ReplyDelete
  35. I confess my illiteracy, and thank the mentors here at Poets United for my introduction to a voice that must be heard. The obsession with Cohen resonates.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Such beautiful words. Yes, tomorrow is such a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  37. We are often so greedy for things that we forget the greatest gift of all: one more day to live.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Nicely rhymed verses. I applaud the pairing of "again" and "amen." The positive focus made for a leavening read.

    ReplyDelete
  39. such a lovely soothing refrain for a beautiful consolatory hymn.

    ReplyDelete
  40. The relief and thankfulness are something I so resonate with. So easy to take health for granted till we lose that blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  41. That gift of another day to live is amazingly precious - although I still manage to take some of them for granted, even after suffering a sub-arachnoid haemorrhage last year, which could easily have killed me. Thankfully, I appear to have suffered no lasting effects - lots of prayers answered there :-)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Love the spirit of thankfulness in this poem Mary. A heartfelt amen to the idea of healing of the spirit. Your words here bring a sense of healing too :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. A gorgeous poem Mary, I really loved this line... Often our gift is another day to live really powerful and so true, each day is a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Beautiful!
    Here is my offering: http://mcguffysreader.blogspot.com/2013/03/womens-day.html

    ReplyDelete
  45. Mary, such a lovely lilting poem, yet very deep--come healing and we know that some time those results may not be what we had hoped. Counting our blessings and living the best we can while we can. Excellent advice :-)

    ReplyDelete
  46. Beautiful Mary, both the song and your words. And yes, I agree, sometimes the healing is simply the living through another day.

    Elizabeth
    http://soulsmusic.wordpress.com/2009/01/28/haiku-conversation/

    ReplyDelete
  47. Most heartfelt and something we need to remind ourselves of, when we focus too much on all that goes wrong. I particularly liked the third stanza - it has an inversion and melodiousness to it which is very appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  48. you've articulate my daily.prayer but so.much better

    ReplyDelete
  49. God works in mysterious ways and sometimes he appears to have favourites:)

    ReplyDelete
  50. I agree, Mary... each day is a gift!

    ReplyDelete
  51. FABULOUS! You are a lyricist at heart, Mary. This touched me on a spiritual level.

    ReplyDelete
  52. I love this!! One of my favorites of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  53. nicely done. I really like how you used his lyrics within your poem, not simply as a reference, but as an important addition to your own words. Very neat how it turned out. Also, loved how many of the lines has this stream of thought process feel to them, catching but a glimpse of the entire thought before the next line/thought begins. Really enjoyed. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  54. wonderful! its only when we count our blessings, hope remains alive for better days and times to come.

    ReplyDelete


Thank you for reading and responding! Your words are gold.