Pages

Friday, March 22, 2013

Cracks

Cracks
 
Those cracks are so important
we didn't realize how much
until we no longer saw light
 
when light could no longer shine through
after the cracks closed
we walked in the dark
 
pretended we saw the light
smiled for the world to see
but it was never the same
 
we didn't let our feelings show
no one was the wiser
no one knew or cared.
 
For Imaginary Garden With Real ToadsThe Crack in Everything.

27 comments:

  1. We all surely need cracks, I'll behave there hahaha can't say Brian will though, he likes saying such things haha but oh so true need them there to view.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those cracks are important as they help us mend as we venture onward..

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice...it is the cracks that let the light in...sadly we cover them up and in doing so, wall ourselves in....the pretending we saw the light reminds me a lot of spirituality....and the faking it til you make it there...

    ReplyDelete
  4. even thhe so-called un-aesthetic is what gives us balance from counterfeit light. BEAUTIFUL !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never looked at it that way but it seems so true. So very insightful plus thought-provoking. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was weird...
    it felt like I was seeing myself in print...very intuitive and thought provoking.

    Thanks for sharing.
    Peace
    Siggi

    ReplyDelete
  7. This poem makes me think about how I always watch peoples' faces, on busses, or wherever I go, wondering what lies behind their bland faces, what sadnesses, or struggles, or difficulties. Loved this poem ,kiddo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mary, this was so perceptive. The cracks do let light in; yet, so often, we can think to do nothing more than reach for the mortar...

    This also had a spiritual value for me, the idea of "faking it" in a world hungry for the light of Creation to shine. We should be prying away at the cracks! Thanks, Peace, Amy
    http://sharplittlepencil.com/2013/03/21/uncle-joe/

    ReplyDelete
  9. The cracks reveal the essentials not easily seen otherwise. The wise takes the lead and mends while other underlings suffer in silence not knowing what hit them. That's how I read it. Nicely Mary! Enjoy the week-end Ma'am!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  10. The thought of getting through these cracks onne by one is daunting task!But, it is significant to fill them up and bring semblance of a happy life again. Great thoughts, Mary!
    Immaculate piece!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This has a post-apocalyptic feel which I really like.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This piece shines light for those who seek and those who see.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cracks do guide us, they show us the light :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Where would we be without them cracks, lost... Beautiful piece

    ReplyDelete
  15. Some cracks make you stronger, some breaks are for the better and some fissures heal rather than hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice tie to the prompt. I love the Sherry's comment and realize I do that too, hoping for a glimpse.

    ReplyDelete
  17. i love the idea of the cracks letting the light in.. we so often strive for perfection but then, it's better we allow those cracks to stretch...let our feelings show..

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the thinking behind this and the economy with which it is expressed. Nice write.

    ReplyDelete


  19. Hmmmmm, a relationship that falls apart by neglect? The cracks are the moments in our crazy lives when we try to nurture tenderness and affection and let light in. But if we forget those efforts, distracted by all the business-like business, the cracks seal up and the relationship loses any real basis and falls apart. And of course, we see that no one really cares. So sad.

    Nice write indeed.

    PS: I think I remember that you don't reply to comments so I won't click the follow button. I never know what to do about this on poetry blogs. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sabio: I enjoyed your interpretation of my poem. You did GET it. We do need all those 'cracks' in our daily life. They are what gives our life its light. If we have no cracks we are in the dark in the same way you mentioned....but we can hide that fact from the world by just keeping that smiling face! Only WE know inside ourselves it is not the same.

    I do appreciate it when someone interprets my poem as they read it. You GOT the meaning intended. Thanks for taking time with it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sometimes a few cracks are okay...don't try to fill them in or there is no light...nice poem Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  22. @ Mary: Cooool, glad I got it. And thanks for welcoming this sort of comment. Makes it more fun! Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I take it that the cracks are openings, to let the light shine on us ~ It's sad when we pretend to be enlightened when we are not, but then who really cares ~

    Good one Mary ~

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the feel of this write!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I enjoyed the words and pondering over them.I pictured it as some things that we let take over in our lives, filling the cracks that were actually lighting our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Mary, your poem is wise, wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I like the whole concept of the cracks being what lets in the light and I like where you went with the concept here. My muse feels like she is sleeping today. Great that you can keep on writing on!

    ReplyDelete


Thank you for reading and responding! Your words are gold.