![]() |
| Illustration of Red Riding Hood from Poems by Frances Sargent Osgood - 1850 |
Grandma and Little Red
Oh, hello, Red, nice that you phoned;
but I have little time today for a visit
with poems to write, bills to pay,
dogs to walk, my bed to freshen,
followed by a luncheon date and
a stroll through the dense forest
followed by a luncheon date and
a stroll through the dense forest
with that handsome Mr. Wolf.
I’ve talked of him before. He’s
the gent with the whitest teeth,
I’ve talked of him before. He’s
the gent with the whitest teeth,
biggest smile, most intense eyes.
And when we’re out he commands
attention wherever we go, with his
And when we’re out he commands
attention wherever we go, with his
beautiful fur coat and fancy gloves..
Then we’ll come back home a while
for some..rest (teehee)..and..refreshment
Then we’ll come back home a while
for some..rest (teehee)..and..refreshment
We’re not youngsters anymore, and
we’ll be a bit tired you know. But
perhaps I could work you in between
we’ll be a bit tired you know. But
perhaps I could work you in between
four and five if you can wait that long.
But knock first, knock hard, as my
hearing isn’t that sharp any more.
But knock first, knock hard, as my
hearing isn’t that sharp any more.
Please try to wear something stylish.
That riding hood has seen better days.
And don’t tire yourself carrying
That riding hood has seen better days.
And don’t tire yourself carrying
a picnic basket. I’ll have eaten
a tasty gourmet meal and won’t
need additional food. And anyway
a tasty gourmet meal and won’t
need additional food. And anyway
I am trying to maintain my figure.
And Red, please don't tell your mother
about Mr. Wolf. She wouldn't approve!
I am hosting at dVerse Poetics. Today we are writing "Modern Mythology." It is also posted in Poets United Poetry Pantry.
I am hosting at dVerse Poetics. Today we are writing "Modern Mythology." It is also posted in Poets United Poetry Pantry.

open the door and walk into a temporary version... oh, too real
ReplyDeletehaha fun talk on poor red and sounds like fun indeed for my feed
ReplyDeleteMary, great job of modernizing the old version and walking into our contemporary life... just missed the "Con.." guess I'm still waking up.
ReplyDeleteWolfsrosebud, thanks for the explanation; as I could not figure out the meaning of your original comment.
ReplyDeleteThis is so Today, Mary. Grandmas are a lot more Happening than they used to be! I love this! Especially asking Little Red not to tell her mom:)
ReplyDeletehaha please dont tell your mother...oh my gramma what big plans you have...smiles...lol...this was a fun modernization...still got to watch out for those wolves though you know...
ReplyDeleteHa! Agree with Brian! A lot of fun. k.
ReplyDeletehaha...now seems like she's pretty busy with mr. wolf but then..you know...i wouldn't trust him still with his fur coat and fancy gloves..ha...fun write mary..much enjoyed
ReplyDeleteTC! Too cute!
ReplyDeleteHa ha ha ... the last line had me :D
ReplyDeleteOh the choices our parents make when the pickin's get thin. Heck, do we make much better ones even when our youth owns the world?
ReplyDeleteSome of us get less picky with age -- we'll take them any shape, size, color or flavor as long as we have fun. While others of us let our eccentricities become our walls -- no one is good enough or tolerable.
Grandma cares not for her dangerous charismatic lover -- better to be eaten up by foolish passion than to wither away in carefulness. Ahhh, something I am sure her granddaughter will surely understand. But can she keep a secret -- I doubt it!
Prepare for your daughter to find out, Mary!
I imagine this is autobiographical!! ;-)
Nicely done Mary. Thanx for hosting. I will start writing in anticipation.
Ha ha, Sabio. Not autobiographical. You were probably just trying to 'get my goat' with that wolfish comment! But if Gramma and the wolf are happy who am I to judge! LOL.
ReplyDeleteFun to read this Mary! The modern grandma for sure! I'd still be careful about that handsome Mr. Wolf!! LOL
ReplyDelete"Oh Grandma, what big secrets you have."
ReplyDelete"Yes dear, now here's $10 to go away."
Love the modern take on this story, Mary.
Hahaha--sultry grandma and sexy Mr. Wolf... I like this much. Still deciding who to modernize.
ReplyDeleteHa Ha Ha....this is Fun! this one is 'salaciously' mythical. LOL. Love all the innuendoes. the story rings loud and clear...no ambiguities. You make Mr. Wolf a more interesting character! Ha Ha...I'm still laughing. Thanks for sharing. Love it to death. ...well, maybe not to death :)
ReplyDelete....aww...super cool twist on this story Mary... it seems like Red will be the antagonist here if she hinted a word or two to mum about granny's juicyness...lol... ha, i think the title now could go like this: "The Juicy Granny Riding Wolf"... lol... i loved this a lot Mary & really an enjoyable read... thanks... smiles...
ReplyDeleteHa ha...this is good, isn't it just the way...we all go full circle back to childhood, because there's always someone who won't approve...I loved it and the cheekiness fantastic!
ReplyDeleteI really like this Mary! I like how many little pieces of this story are applicable to everyday life and as someone else mentioned, the line about asking her not to telll her mother was a funny twist :)
ReplyDeleteOh, I am sure Mr Wolf would be Mr Grey today,.. very funny indeed. I love the flow of this, and so much realisic how a grandmother would be...
ReplyDeleteGoodness, what a playful turn Mary ~ I must say this is so modern of grandmothers nowadays, going out on a dates with the likes of Mr. Wolf ~
ReplyDeleteHappy Easter ~
Ha ha, Mary, yes, I was being one of those nasty wolves and trying to get your goat.
ReplyDeleteFantastic response!! :-)
Great fun here., and you capture the way that confidences can jump generations: grandma can tell the granddaughter, but not the mother.
ReplyDeleteall that effort and danger, and grandma will only eat gormet food. LOL!!
ReplyDeleteCinderella Limerick
I love it! A good take on lil Red!
ReplyDeleteWay to go, Grandma!
ReplyDeleteFantastically hilarious Mary! You have not just the knack for humor but tweaked it brilliantly. You made Mr Wolf as a conniving human that I didn't anticipate until I came to the very end. All along I was wondering how to reconcile the wolf's presence or character. Great!
ReplyDeleteHank
Very now! :-)
ReplyDeleteInstead of embroidering Grandma is out seducing wolves.I put my money on Grandma:)
ReplyDeleteIt's just too good, Mary!!!And...it sums up the modern grandma's busy schedule beautifully!! Wow! What fun...Smiles.
ReplyDeleteExcellent and funny adaptation to the modern.
ReplyDeletehahaha !
ReplyDeleteThis was hilarious.
loved the pace too.
way to go Mary :D
ha I knew it -
ReplyDeleteI think I need to spend some time hanging with G-ma!
ReplyDeleteFun twist on an old tale. . . and I suspect there are far more grannies who relate to this version than the other. (Smile)
ReplyDeleteGreat take Mary.
ReplyDeleteRecently a grandma - I need to look for my wolf...
Anna :o]
What a wonderful and fun read this morning :)
ReplyDeleteMary,
ReplyDeleteThanks for hosting today and oh that wolf does sound enchanting..(laughing) enjoyed your work.
that's a very creative and modern take on an old tale! enjoyed it. :)
ReplyDeleteoh! this is wonderful!! perhaps, inviting trouble...!! :) but a very novel imagination ferom the other side of the story! loved it, loved it, loved it...!!
ReplyDeleteHa. This sure is a modern version. Grandma is no longer feeble, stuck at home, helpless. Too bad it's the wolf she chooses to go out with. But maybe in these modern times, he's reformed. Thanks for the chuckle this gave me.
ReplyDeleteNow that's my kind of grandmother!
ReplyDeleteEven fairy tales mature, turn gray, have moss on their north sides; what a fun ride. No mention of the Woodsman. I guess he is enjoying his movie time with Snow White.
ReplyDeleteGo grandma! really well spun. you definitely brought a lot into this retelling.
ReplyDeleteOh nicely done Mary! I have known some wolves in the past--and I must say--love Grandma here!
ReplyDeleteMary, you turned this fairy tale inside out! There's a reason they're called "wolves," huh?
ReplyDeleteGrandma's entreaties re: When to come, to knock HARD, etc., truly hilarious. Best of all, telling her to ditch the hoodie, along with the old-fashioned picture. A hoot! Thanks for the laugh, Amy
Mary this is so FUN! you made me laugh out loud :-) A wonderful spin on Red Riding Hood. Big, toothy smile!
ReplyDeleteLove this, Mary. You made this very fun and fresh...grandmas aren't what they used to be that's for sure!
ReplyDeleteRip-roaring, hilarious, I just love this, in my book one of your very best. Great fun, great poetry. Delicious!
ReplyDeleteHope you and yours had a happy Easter. Sorry I wan't around Bloggoland yesterday.
Love your take on this story. Grandmothers are far more busy and entertaining than the old fables tell. Really cute poem!
ReplyDeletelol I <3 this one~ So fun to read!
ReplyDeleteYou did a wonderful job-who is the sheep in wolf clothing?! ;D
I loved it!
I like the contemporary take on this! I hope you had a great Easter Mary!
ReplyDeleteleave it all and spend time with people you love, surely that's the message here
ReplyDeleteAn hilarious take on aging, perspective, relationships and living life with authenticity. I like it, Mary!
ReplyDeletehttp://www.kimnelsonwrites.com/2013/04/01/it-begins/
Very cool twist on this old story. I enjoyed it.
ReplyDeleteI really like this 21st century version of a classic, still laughing :-D
ReplyDeleteOh, this is wonderful, Mary. Love it and especially that last line. Rewriting myth is a great deal of fun, isn't it?
ReplyDeleteElizabeth
Such beautiful writing...Loved it.....
ReplyDeleteinside that bowl, I see the whole world
Brilliant, excellent, and too funny end. Brava!
ReplyDelete