Raise a glass, make a toast, know I'm not far away. As you look for me out of the corner of your eye or find me in your dreams, picture me with a smile and happy, know that we will meet again.
Tuesday, March 19, 2013
The Color of March
The Color of March
There is some green in March
not much but some, only a
touch of optimism and
potential growth. Mostly
March is a dirty month, gray
and soggy, a month that
can't quite decide, could
go either way, snow or rain,
cool or warm. The yard will
need to be raked and readied,
but not yet. Too early, too tentative,
too sunless, icy grass still dormant.
Respite before real work begins,
a month to walk dogs, to
appreciate nature's indecision.
March is a carefree month,
though bleak, as I know
the work that lies ahead.
Shared with dVerse Poets Open Link. This is SOME March. Snowed last night. 16 degrees F & windy today. Green IS around but sparse. I wonder where those robins that I saw a few days ago are taking shelter.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
a month to walk dogs, to
ReplyDeleteappreciate nature's indecision.
This really spoke to me.
Tentative and nature's indecision - that's March for me too ~ And we just got snow last night ~
ReplyDeleteHave a lovely day Mary ~
march is a month of anticipation...and we see in it what we want...and find our disappointments as well...its a tease...giving us warmth and then stealing away in the night with a cold kiss....
ReplyDeletei am ready to wake up and find spring still in bed with me...ha....
Getting a ton of snow, so march is bleak but nice and relaxed too, as I'll be taking a vacation from that 9 to 5 zoo haha
ReplyDeleteYes! Understood. k.
ReplyDeleteYesterday we reached record-breaking high of 89 degrees and by the end of the week it'll be down to the 40s. Other than that, March is pretty here. I'm glad I don't live up north!
ReplyDeleteI like your take on March!
ReplyDeletewe had a cold march over here..mostly sunless as well.. a spring breakthrough was just when i was in berlin...maybe that added a lot to the spell of the city as well... enjoy walking your dogs mary...the carefreeness before garden work starts..smiles
ReplyDeleteMarch is a beautiful month here !!!
ReplyDeleteMarch holds a promise..and yes.. a
ReplyDeletetouch of optimism and
potential growth. Nicely done, Mary. Happy day to you. :)
today in my yard March is white, punctuated by gray-brown trees, with a hint of green lichens.
ReplyDeleteI was trying to like March better than February, but you are right, this is SOME March...
ReplyDeleteI can't wait for that work to begin!
March is not hesitating at all. Here it's full winter. :-) New snow came today,,,,
ReplyDeleteVery nice poetry
yes, a month of contradictions
ReplyDeletemostly snow here, through April as well
March as a respite almost feels like a sanctuary. Excellent detail for me to visualize and sigh with.
ReplyDeleteThis is the perfect portrait of March that I've read. Just brilliant. My favorite is the last part, I too feel the bleakness of what's to come.
ReplyDeleteMarch that time in between..it's been snowing here so I am wishing for spring.
ReplyDeletefeeling that anticipation of Spring seems very important right now, it's been gray this year for a long time.
ReplyDeleteA turning point indeed. You captured it perfectly.
ReplyDeleteI love a number of the ways you reflect on March...for some reason especially, tentative, dormant, indecision. Love the feel of the whole of it!
ReplyDeleteTulip, Violet, and Basil might all be dreaming of living in Florida. I did.
ReplyDeleteHave not "seen" you for awhile, come here and read about snow? in MARCH? You must live in Fairbanks.
Great to be here.
I like this - a lot.
ReplyDeleteMarch is a grey and dirty month - but holds the beginning of spring...
Anna :o]
Mary, you describe the fickle month of March very well indeed. Here the rainy season will be starting, then we get about six months of rain. Nice piece of writing.
ReplyDeletePamela
You're so right..."carefree, though bleak"...that's March!
ReplyDeleteK
You've got it covered with the not quite making up its mind...here we have strong March winds as well. I think they are blowing away the winter ...
ReplyDeleteMarch is definitely indecisive...though not here in the desert where it's already in the 80's and 90's. I like the reference to dog-walking which is one of the reasons we come to warmer climate in the winter, so the dogs get their walks. Us, too.
ReplyDeleteI never thought of March that way, but I can see how perfect the description seems to fit. I'm beginning to think March is my most least favorite month. I'm ready for the suns sweet resolve.
ReplyDeleteNature's indecision can be frustrating at times, especially at the changing of the seasons. Oh well you get a little more rest before the work in the garden. :)
ReplyDeleteLove this poem, which captures March exactly - except I was surprised in your comment that you have snow. We mowed our lawn a week ago and this past weekend transplanted a tree.
ReplyDeleteI well know the feeling of knowing the work that lies ahead. But this year I've decided - I'll just let KEN do it, hee hee.
I like your musings on March...you're not quite out of the woods yet with the cold apparently...but soon I'm sure, some warmth will come your way. I'm really grateful that I don't have to deal with snow and the extreme cold of the north.
ReplyDeleteMarch is dreadful here in Brazil as well, though it is our autumn, cool and a final exclamation point to our rainy season. Let it be over! ~peace, Jason
ReplyDeleteYou are so right about March! 'A month that can't quite decide' is so spot on. :-)
ReplyDeleteWhat an interesting perspective on March! I would never have thought of this description of March--a carefree month of anticipation!
ReplyDeleteMarch isn't that bad...infact we enjoy it more :)
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete...i like snow for i haven't seen one ever in my life and i do believe i won't die here on earth without witnessing it live falling on top of my nose, over my shoulder and my paling palm... that said i prefer to have 'em in march better than the overly sweaty and scorching feel i got here at the moment in Philippines... smiles...
ReplyDeleteMarch, being unpredictable, excites me
ReplyDeleteunfortunately you've captured the hidden side of March
ReplyDeleteI so agree with the 'not yet'. Keep on saying that till September :-)
ReplyDeleteMarch here has decided - to be winter, rather than spring. Bleh. Here we are still wondering whether last year's summer will ever arrive :-(
ReplyDeleteWhatchoo talkin bout, Mary! I got tiny jalapenos on the bush and tomato blossums on all four tomato plants! Leaves on the trees too! :)
ReplyDeletenatures indecision...that is the truth...thank you for honoring march..i love the month myself...the beginning of an end...thank you
ReplyDelete