Pages

Saturday, March 2, 2013

Too Early

Too Early #1
I awakened at four o'clock today   
thoughts dancing madly in my head  
performing a macabre cabaret     
I awakened at four o'clock today
my restful sleep in disarray
having preferred to sleep instead
I awakened at four o'clock today
thoughts dancing madly in my head.

          Written in triolet form



Too Early #2
I awakened at four o'clock today
thoughts dancing madly in my head
performing a macabre cabaret.

I lay in bed and tried to sleep
it did not work to count sheep
I awakened at four o'clock today.

Yesterdays revisited and replayed
as worries of tomorrow invade
thoughts dancing madly in my head.

So many images twist and swirl
devil dances with bow and whirl
performing a macabre cabaret.

               Written in cascade tercet form


These two short poems were written for dVerse Poetics, where Fred is prompting us to write 'short poems' today!    I was indeed awake (and up!) at 4 a.m. today, so I decided to explore a few forms just for fun with some amount of exaggeration, as I did not mind the early hour.  Smiles.

42 comments:

  1. Sorry you woke up so early. My dad wakes up at that time every morning and can't go back to sleep. By 9 he's snoozing if he's not on the golf course.

    Anyway, great offering... I especially like the first one b/c the form seems to reinforce the theme.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice....those thoughts sure can dance at times...mine is usually when i lay down and put my head to a pillow...my mind seems to think that means it is time to dance...ha...hmmm...i kinda like the form one as well the repetition pics up the dance a bit...

    ReplyDelete
  3. thoughts dancing madly in my head
    performing a macabre cabaret _ excellent desription and really great poems.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! I woke up and was on computer at four o'clock too. I love these, but especially the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love both of these Mary. I wake up super early pretty much every day :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my..not funny to wake at 4 by madly dancing thoughts...pour them a tea or two to calm 'em down..and maybe the sheep are happy for a tea as well and make it easier to count them then...smiles
    happy saturday mary..i like both of the forms

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved the way you played with forms ... well done :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. To be awakened at early hour, will make me very sleepy during the day. I specially like the use of macabre cabaret ~ And worries of tomorrow will really cost you a good night sleep ~

    Good work on the forms Mary ~

    ReplyDelete
  9. really nice Mary. Love the way the repetition sets mood. You give us that feeling of getting awoken too son, really strong verse. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  10. Isn't it amazing how much gentler and more soothing the second one sounds - the lulling repetition?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mary. I will be thinking of your poetry at 4AM :)
    That is the time I'm up and at 'em

    ReplyDelete
  12. The first one reads smoother to me which is actually surprising because the second form seems like it would be the smoother one - I enjoyed this! Especially the first one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I enjoyed both, such a singsong feel the triolet. It rolls off the tongue, I was up early too this morning, a little later 5am on yet another rainy day. Glad you had some fun with the forms, very much enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Waking too early like that is really disorientating. Both your poems capture that, but I think the brevity of the triolet enhances the effect.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I enjoyed reading both of your poems Mary.

    My mind goes into overdrive as soon as I hit the pillow - not worrying - just can't stop thinking.

    When finally asleep I am out for the count and could sleep forever and cannot imagine waking at 4am - it must make for an awful long night?

    That said, you put your (early) waking hours to fine use - thankyou!

    Anna :o]

    PS Second attempt to leave a comment - first appears to have disappeared into thin air...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Triolets are among the my favorite poetry, I adore them.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am especially grateful to see both forms together. Your skills as a diverse poet are highlighted, and by using the same subject in each, you end up teaching the essence of the forms. In short ... I learned a lot.
    I enjoyed both, but the cascade tercet has brilliant visual impact, especially at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I liked seeing both forms too, Mary--though my favorite is the triolet, because I love that form!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really loved the triolet. It was nice to see the two forms together.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice to see both of these forms side by side Mary. They provide an interesting contrast. Hope you get a better sleep tonight :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Some morning you really can't win, the thoughts just keep coming at ones bin. So may as well get up an do something.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ha, very good! I did not get up early this morning, but wish I would have have. Great job with the forms.

    ReplyDelete
  23. great musicality achieved by the reps.
    And that with lack of sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I like both very much, but prefer the first. In the second I got a bit bogged down in verse 3, and wondered how the poem might work without that verse.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Nice one, and one I can relate to. I prefer the first one for its compactness but the second includes a bit more details and speculations on the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  26. ...well i can get up as early as 3 in the morning but only on weekdays as my work is way too far to where i currently stay... usually great thoughts come to mind either too late at night or too early in the morning... and the evidence is clearly laid here... love both piece & forms... Excellent Mary... smiles...

    ReplyDelete
  27. one of my favorite forms - triolet. nicely done...I personally would not be ok with waking up at 4am. Hope you catch up tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I really enjoyed what you did with the forms. Both offerings are really well done and fun to read. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I quite often am awake soon after 4 and use the time for thought - but have never collected from it such a harvest as you have managed. Superb.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I wake up early every day, but usually wait until 4 to get up. Are you saying this ain't normal?? I knew I shoulda read the instructions!
    Love the poems, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  31. The Chinese say that long walks of walking backwards can help improve sleep and avoid early wakes. I love my early wakes -- not to worry but to play in the world so quiet.

    Best wishes with the insomnia.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Mary, I think you planted a thought. I read your poems yesterday and today I was up at 4AM. As Sabio said, I had some extra quiet time to be creative. Good writes. I enjoyed the variations.

    ReplyDelete
  33. How are worries and thoughts keep us wound up sometimes..it's no wonder we don't get enough sound sleep..nicely done, Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Mary ~ good to see these two forms, I like both poems. I've written a few triolets but the cascade tercet is new to me ~ thank you

    ReplyDelete
  35. Good use of these two forms Mary. You have really gotten good at some of these forms--all of which are still a challenge for me. Excellent use of a waking up too early experience as well!

    ReplyDelete
  36. The first one does it for me, tells of the angst of waking before you need to with thoughts tumbling and heart racing. Your use of "macabre cabaret" is genius!

    ReplyDelete
  37. great work on these forms - you crafted both in a nice natural flow

    ReplyDelete
  38. I too am finding myself awake at odd hours and not minding it at all. Sort of pleases me to have that freedom. I like your poems, Mary and experimenting is always good, and often fun,

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  39. I love the way you use poetry to deal with the real little and big challenges of life. And your ability to use and willingness to explore forms impresses me.

    ReplyDelete
  40. loved the verses and the formns of poetry. reinforces the thought of the verse in repitition!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Really funny Mary! Even if you don't mind waking up early, you captured exactly how I feel when I wake up that early and can't go to sleep. I want to try these forms now.

    ReplyDelete


Thank you for reading and responding! Your words are gold.